Setting up a Canon Pixma MP 620 in Snow Leopard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Would like some feedback from anyone using a Canon Pixma MP 620 with Snow Leopard.

Snow Leopard shows the printer as installed and even indicates the correct driver for it (same as Leopard). However, the printer will not work wireless. I'm assuming that I will have to reinstall the included Canon software. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
That is EXACTLY what I had to do with the same printer.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Looks like more work ahead. :(

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yup, I have that same printer and I remember researching it before I bought it and A LOT of people had a heck of a time using the wireless feature. I just have mine plugged into a router instead so I can't comment personally, but your problem sounds very familiar.
The directions have to be followed EXACTLY and even then it might take a time or two before it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP 13 in 8 gig ram 256 gig ssd
you need to go to Canon support and
download driver version 10.26.0.0
and all should be well

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I'll try downloading the new driver.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP 13 in 8 gig ram 256 gig ssd
After you have the print issue settled go back in on the same sight
and download the new scanner driver.After this download your computer
will be prompted to restart. After that the scanner should just work.

Reaction score
Setting up your Canon Printer (for now...)

Until this all gets automated, this process should work if you had already set up your Canon wireless MPxxx printer/scanner under Mac OS X 10.5:

1. Reinstall the 10.5 versions of the IJ Network Tool and the printer and scanner drivers form your installation cd-rom or the one that's posted on Canon's site.
You will end up restarting your machine maybe 3-4 times.

2. Instead of running the auto-installer from the disc, open "System Preferences" and choose "Print & Fax".

3. Add a new printer to your list using the "+" sign. When the selector appears, choose "IP." Change "protocol" to "IPP" and select "More Printers" in the lower left hand corner. Your MPxxx should pop right up in the list. Select it, and you're back in the wireless printing business.

IJ Network Tool should already be running in the background and take care of the scanning for you.

Officially, Canon says they should have a 10.6 version of the automated installer by mid-September.

This setup works fine with my MacBook Pro with the Snow Leopard update dvd.

Good Luck !!!

Reaction score
I've had the same problem. I haven't been able to print or scan since I updated to Snow Leopard. I downloaded Canon's driver that is supposed to work with Snow Leopard, but it didn't work. Today Apple release an update (10.6.1), which I downloaded and installed... now I can print!
BUT - the scanner still doesn't work. The same error message pops up every time I try to scan, "The scanner driver supported by this software is not installed. Install it and then retry." I give up... I'll be calling Apple to see what do try next....

Reaction score
thanks!

I have just made a user on this forum just to say thanks to you guys :)

I downloaded the Canon ScanGear for OSX (14.8.2) from the url mentioned, and now I can scan wirelessly. Have been trying to get this to work before, but now it's finally there! Thanks!

Reaction score
Still confused

I tried downloading everything for 10.6 from the canon site ( the link recommended here) and I don't know how to move forward. I tried installing the Cd after and it still says not compatible. Are there steps I am missing after installing the software updates?

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More details please. I'm assuming since you've posted to this thread that you have a Canon Pixma MP 620? And you can't get it to work wirelessly?

Post back exactly what you've done and the results. We'll go from there.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.6.2
My printer has been a brick for about 6 months now.

I remember being extremely frustrated when I was setting up my wireless in September 08 on Leopard, but it was functioning wirelessly.

I moved in September 09 and my internet connection changed and I haven't been able to set it up again. Then I updated to Snow Leopard and I still have luck.

I've downloaded several of the drivers from the link posted here, as well as the one provided by Apple.

My MacBook isn't registering my Pixma AT ALL - not even when I have it plugged in via USB.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
2. Instead of running the auto-installer from the disc, open "System Preferences" and choose "Print & Fax".

3. Add a new printer to your list using the "+" sign. When the selector appears, choose "IP." Change "protocol" to "IPP" and select "More Printers" in the lower left hand corner. Your MPxxx should pop right up in the list. Select it, and you're back in the wireless printing business.

THANK YOU for posting this! I have spent hours trying to fix my wireless printing. This was the final step I needed!

* NOTE: I needed to temporarily turn off the Firewall (Sys Pref's>Security) first before any printer would register under the "more printers" option.

I updated the print driver and IJ Network tool from the canon website as well.

FYI, instead of re-installing the IJ network tool over and over again in order to be prompted to configure wireless setup for the printer, just run the program which they buried under Library>Printers>Canon>BJPrinter>Utilities

Hope this helps anyone else out there with this problem!

MacBook Pro - Mac OSx 10.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.