Non-Functional Keyboard+Trackpad

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an issue with a White Macbook from around 2006. I replaced the HardDrive and now the Keyboard and Trackpad do not work. Using an external Keyboard + Mouse seem to work fine. I was able to restore using the externals but still no go for Internal parts. I tried resetting PRAM but it will not work through the external keyboard. The weird thing is that the unit powers on fine which should mean the internal keyboard is working to some degree..

Any advice or potential remedies are highly appreciated!

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like the ribbon cable from the keyboard/trackpad may have come loose or not been properly seated when you reassembled. I would back track and ensure the connector is properly seated.

OP
I
Reaction score
I did 2 times.. but I will try again.. perhaps I overlooked something.. is there anyway to reset PRAM if the Keyboard isnt working?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may have reconnected it upside down. Definitely something to check.

As far as resetting the PRAM, you could always connect a USB keyboard.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ahh.... very good thinking.. I'll make sure It wasnt upside down.. The External USB Keyboard was functioning but would not reset the PRAM :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.2Ghz
This happened to me earlier on my black macbook around June of this year.
Just randomly stopped working. Called apple care and they told me to reinstall leopard thru my cd. You can reinstall leopard without loosing any of your things on your harddrive.
(I downloaded Adobe CS4 master suite) lol. Took about a day and a half. 0.0
So what I recommend doing is putting in your boot cd that you got with your computer. Put that baby in there. And reinstall with backup.
Worked like a charm. Computer must have just lost/forgot it had a keyboard and trackpad?
Hope this helps :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's kind of hard to boot off of a disc if your keyboard doesn't work. One has to hold the 'C' key down.

In this case, it certainly smacks of a hardware issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.