Problem restarting

Reaction score
Hi every one. I am a life time PC user and a new Mac user and I just love it.

I have a new (2 month old) MacBook Pro. When I bought I could put it sleep and or restart but not any more. In both cases, the small white light in front right stays on and to shut it down I have to press power switch for few seconds. It was not a big deal until now that I want to install Snow Leopard. The installation wants to restart and it cannot.

Any idea of what's wrong and how it can be resloved?

By the way, if this belongs to another forum, please let me know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) first. See the following Apple KB article: Link

If that doesn't work, make an appointment with Apple to take it on in and have them look at it. Your machine is still under warranty.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Unfortunately it did not work. When I restart the sleep light stays solid light. When I select Sleep, the sleep light blink slowly but it never waked up.

OP
P
Reaction score
I took the machine today and the Apple guy could not fix it. He booted the machine from his external drive and restart worked so it's software problem and since I am installing Snow Leopard anyway he suggested to boot from Snow Leopard disk and install it that way. He said this did not work, take it again. He was a nice guy and tried his best to fix it.

OP
P
Reaction score
I installed the Snow Leopard from DVD and it finished with no error but the machine does not start. It stops in the gray screen with Apple logo with the little wheel turning. I setup an appointment for Friday 11th.

Anything I could try before then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Man that sucks, sounds like you are having some tough problems. Sounds like you have a serious software problem maybe even as deep as within the OS files.

Have you backed up all your files? Because the next thing that I would suggest is just doing a clean install. Deleting your whole hard drive and then doing a FRESH install from leopard first. Then if everything goes well from that then try doing snow leopard after that.

But yea it just sounds like you have a problem with your mac os software and need to just do a clean/fresh install. hope this helps... If this does not help then I suggest you just wait for the apple genius to help you out.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am looking for something less destruction before I see the genius. I have an online backup account so my data is backed up. The problem is downloading over the net. The bigger problem is installing all the software again.

While investigating this on he net, I learned about verbose boot so I tried it. The 10-12 lines are the same and are:

Sound assertion "0==entry" failed in "/SoutceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3009 goto Exit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Thanks for the reply. I am looking for something less destruction before I see the genius. I have an online backup account so my data is backed up. The problem is downloading over the net. The bigger problem is installing all the software again.

While investigating this on he net, I learned about verbose boot so I tried it. The 10-12 lines are the same and are:

Sound assertion "0==entry" failed in "/SoutceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 3009 goto Exit

Yea I have no idea what that stuff is.... I guess I have more primitive methods. I am more of cut and dry. haha. good luck though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.