AntiVirus Poll

OP
B

Badger

I'm not worried about my Macs but I have it because I exchange files with pc users and don't want to send or receive anything nasty.

Reaction score
Same here i have a pc in the group so i keep something working for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Badger said:
I'm not worried about my Macs but I have it because I exchange files with pc users and don't want to send or receive anything nasty.

Alternatively, you could just delete eMails containing file attachments named "naked_celebrity_pictures.exe" instead of forwarding them to the PC users with a note saying "This didn't work for me, maybe your PC can open it."

OP
B

Badger

technologist said:
Alternatively, you could just delete eMails containing file attachments named "naked_celebrity_pictures.exe" instead of forwarding them to the PC users with a note saying "This didn't work for me, maybe your PC can open it."

What I'm worried about is the macro viruses in the cross-platform documents like Word or Excel. As far as I'm concerned, anyone that gets a virus from email is too inept to own a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have intego virus barrier installed, only cause I share/send files with pc's, so I don't wanna share anything. though I've never found a virus on my mac yet.
and @ technologist: I've never received an email yet that I couldn't open that I wanted to. I usually just delete junk mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
I voted No. But Im thinking about getting something for the "just in case" situation.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Right now I do not have any AV on my Macs. I might in the future get Virux by McAfee just in case.

My PCs do have McAfee because I do so much work on other peoples systems and have to plug them into my network to upgrade drivers. I can not afford to have a virus take out one of my systems. On the Mac so far I can do anything I want and nothing. Maybe in the future as OSX gets even more popular, virus's might be made for it, but right now, it can not hurt to have an AntiVirus program just to be safe, but I have not seen any Virus for OSX. If I have to go to a site that I do not trust, I go there with the Mac. That way I am safe!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Why bother? My e-mail provider filters most viruses, and even if I passed one on to a pc user, they're the ones who should be using anti-virus programs not me.

Besides - I've yet to receive one on my mac and even if I did, I doubt I'd be stupid enough to manually forward it to people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4
I don't use any, though I do wonder at times if I should :S

Reaction score
i said yes but only cos i get it for free from my uni.
not found anything yet :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
dtravis7 said:
Maybe in the future as OSX gets even more popular, virus's might be made for it, but right now, it can not hurt to have an AntiVirus program just to be safe, but I have not seen any Virus for OSX. If I have to go to a site that I do not trust, I go there with the Mac. That way I am safe!

I agree. In the future when the OSX is more popular and virus writters see that they can take more down, AV protection will be a must. IMO, I dont think the future is that far away before someone writes a virus for the OSX. Its sucks but it'll happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.