Configure Mac G3 to Startup using Monitor

Reaction score
This is a very simple question and yet I can't find the answer anywhere. There is a way to startup your Mac just using the monitor. I have configured my G4 years ago to do this, but can't remember how to do it. Now I want to do this on a G3. Thanks in advance. :Mischievous:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is a very simple question and yet I can't find the answer anywhere. There is a way to startup your Mac just using the monitor. I have configured my G4 years ago to do this, but can't remember how to do it. Now I want to do this on a G3. Thanks in advance. :Mischievous:

I did not see a question mark in your posting...so I'm really not sure exactly what your question is.

Also, could you post a little more info on what model G3 & G4 we are talking about?

G3's & G4's come in all sort of configurations...desktops, laptops, and iMac "all-in-ones".

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
piggo3,
Thanks for your response. The G3 I'm working with has the following configuration: Blue tower, OS X 10.3.9, 350 MHz PowerPC with 256 MB SDRAM and 12 GB HD. The G4 is a APG/Sawtooth tower with OS X 10.3.9, 400 MHz PowerPC also with 256 SDRAM and 9 GB HD.

As I recall, a number of years ago I was able to configure my Mac to boot up when I turned on the monitor. I just picked up the G3 for a neighbor of mine and I was hoping to be able to do the same thing with this Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Certain Apple displays had integrated power switches for Macs; these usually had ADC or USB connections to control the computer. Not all Apple displays had this feature, no non-Apple displays did, and not all Macs supported these monitors.

If you do have one of these displays, you will have to find the manual for your particular display to set this up.

Much more popular were Macs that switched on from the keyboard and in turn controlled a monitor plugged into the power port on the back of the computer. The G3 towers all had such a monitor power port, and the standard keyboard that came with them included a power button.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Certain Apple displays had integrated power switches for Macs; these usually had ADC or USB connections to control the computer. Not all Apple displays had this feature, no non-Apple displays did, and not all Macs supported these monitors.

If you do have one of these displays, you will have to find the manual for your particular display to set this up.

Much more popular were Macs that switched on from the keyboard and in turn controlled a monitor plugged into the power port on the back of the computer. The G3 towers all had such a monitor power port, and the standard keyboard that came with them included a power button.

Good answer "Technologist"!:)

"Seattlepainter"...like "Technologist" mentioned about the monitors...the "auto" turn on also worked with a "button" on the keyboard...which was sort of just as easy as the monitor idea you mentioned.

Also...on the older G3 & G4 desktops some of them had two power "ports" on the back of them.

One was a "female" port for the power cord which went to the wall socket. The second plug was a "male" port which was the connector for a special "female" fitting on Apple monitors ONLY...where one of Apple monitors cables got plugged directly into the computer's power supply (instead of plugging the Apple monitor into the wall socket), and the monitors other cable attached to the computers video port, or video card.

So this whole setup in older Macintosh's...with the:

- special Apple monitor power plug into the computer
- the keyboard with the "power" button on it

...gave the user some additional options in terms of turning the computer on...and how the cables between the computer & monitor were routed.

"Technologist" pretty much said the same thing...I just expanded with some extra details.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for responding to my question. When I first picked up the G3 tower a few weeks ago, I had to turn on both the computer and then the monitor. Over time, I've been switching back and forth between the G3 and my G4, using the same monitor. This afternoon - for some reason - the G3 has started to act more like my G4 and is now turning on when I power up the monitor. So, I'm not really sure what I did, but the problem seems to have been resolved. Thanks again for your responses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.