trouble installing OS X

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased an old emac, this emac has no operating system so when I turn it on it comes to a little picture of a folder and a blinking question mark. Now I have read the sticky on here with the apple support but my problem isnt solved, or it seems maybe I couldn't figure out what the issue was.

The problem is, I have two os x install 10.4 disc and I insert the first one and hold c and the computer spits it back out, and continues to show the blinking question mark folder/face.

my specs are:

Processor Type: PowerPC G4
Product Family: eMac Processor Speed (per Core): 800 MHz
Screen Size: 17 inches Processor Configuration: Single Core
Operating System: Not Included Memory (RAM): 512 MB
Primary Drive: CD-ROM Hard Drive Capacity: 40 GB
Bundled Items: Keyboard, Mouse

can anyone help me?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is the color of those 10.4 disks you have grey/silver?

If so, they probably are not meant for an e-Mac (they are model specific).

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Is the color of those 10.4 disks you have grey/silver?

If so, they probably are not meant for an e-Mac (they are model specific).

- Nick

Yes they are grey/siliver...
Thanks now it makes sense :) Guess im gonna have to go buy different os disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You need a generic Tiger dvd with the black face and big silver "X" on it.

Reaction score
hello,

i've got a similar problem. i recently bought a g4 power mac with os 10.5.11 i think it was. i then realised i couldn't run my old version of cubase on it, so i thought "i'll go back to 10.4" (tiger). i'd got a set of discs that someone burned from a torrent (!) that i'd used on another machine with no problems. but the g4 wouldn't take them, as it said they were too scratched.

oh, and in the meantime i somehow managed to lose the os that was on the new machine! so i've got the flashing ?, and i can't install any os on there.

so, i'm wondering where i can get myself a generic tiger dvd as mentioned in the previous post. i've looked on the web, and can't find one anywhere. if i could buy or borrow one for an hour or so, i'd be made up!

anyone??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'd got a set of discs that someone burned from a torrent (!) that i'd used on another machine with no problems. but the g4 wouldn't take them, as it said they were too scratched.

oh, and in the meantime i somehow managed to lose the os that was on the new machine! so i've got the flashing ?, and i can't install any os on there.

so, i'm wondering where i can get myself a generic tiger dvd as mentioned in the previous post. i've looked on the web, and can't find one anywhere. if i could buy or borrow one for an hour or so, i'd be made up!

anyone??

First of all you're not supposed to be using "burned" OS disks.

Second...I just went to e-Bay, and I got around 100+ auctions for Mac OS 10.4. You want the black disk with the big X on it.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
hi,

thanks!

yeah, i know i'm not supposed to use burned discs, but they did work fine on my g3 imac, and my g4 emac, and the only reason i believe they don't work on the power mac, is that they are too scratched for the drive to read them. but, point taken and all that....

i'm now aware that i need the black disc with the silver x, but i can't see any where i've looked. are the ones you've seen in the u.s.? i'm in the uk and have just looked there. i will try ebay u.s.

thanks again for your help!

regards,
paul

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Discussion of any Piracy is not allowed here at Mac Forums. Burned CD's/DVD's of OSX are pirated copies and against US Law and therefore against the rules here to discuss.

Does your power mac have a DVD Drive? The normal Tiger Black disk is a DVD. That is the only copy of Tiger that will work on a Power PC Mac. Colin provided a picture above which is exactly what the Tiger DVD looks like.

Reaction score
yes, it's a dvd drive. the official legal disc (as pictured) is what i'm trying to buy!

i find it a little harsh that i'm not allowed to mention a burned disc in passing, though... i wasn't after pirated material, nor do i believe i was inciting anyone.

i suppose if i were murdering thousands of innocent civilians for oil, that would be, like, totally cool, though...?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is the rule here on the forums and we warn if we see discussion of any pirated software.

Ebay might be a good place to look for the 10.4 Tiger Black (Retail) DVD. Be sure no one tries to stick you with a Machine Specific Gray DVD as it's only for the model Mac it came with and will not work on your Powermac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
yes, it's a dvd drive. the official legal disc (as pictured) is what i'm trying to buy!

i find it a little harsh that i'm not allowed to mention a burned disc in passing, though... i wasn't after pirated material, nor do i believe i was inciting anyone.

i suppose if i were murdering thousands of innocent civilians for oil, that would be, like, totally cool, though...?

Not allowed? - you did in fact mention it and it is still sitting there in that post - it hasn't been deleted.

A little harsh? Don't believe so. Before it went any further, you were simply informed that those types of discussions are not allowed in this forum. That's just part of our job.

He even helped in pointing out which disks you're looking for and which you want to make sure you don't get as they won't work.

And I always find it kind of funny how folks like to change the topic and point at someone they feel is worse in order to make themselves feel better about stealing other peoples work. What I do is not so bad, look at what he does. Go after him instead of me.

Reaction score
Discussion of any Piracy is not allowed here at Mac Forums. Burned CD's/DVD's of OSX are pirated copies and against US Law and therefore against the rules here to discuss.

Does your power mac have a DVD Drive? The normal Tiger Black disk is a DVD. That is the only copy of Tiger that will work on a Power PC Mac. Colin provided a picture above which is exactly what the Tiger DVD looks like.

sincere apologies, dtravis7. i was being a total *** back there. apologies to all who were offended or upset by my behaviour. totally un-called for. no excuses!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.