PowerPoint on Mac not compatible with PC help!

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help, I think this problem just started occuring but I can't remember. I have PowerPoint 2004 on my PowerBook. Normally to insert images, I drag them from Safari and drop them into the PowerPoint, or drag a JPG from my desktop and do the same. However, whenever I send the file to someone on a PC, the images aren't there and it says something about "Error no compatible quicktime tiff decompressor found" or something like that. Even when I use JPG files, I don't know why it does this. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? I was in a team meeting yesterday and first off the people were cutting up my PowerBook over their ThinkPads, then to top it off all my slides were messed up because of the images! Everything else is okay, backgrounds, fonts and so on just pictures. Was really annoying. Then I tried taking screen shots of the pictures and sending them to the guy because I didn't have the original. The Mac saves them as PDFS but they wouldn't open on the PC, Acrobat for PC would say this is not a PDF file, drove me crazy :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
its the guy's PC to blame. he probably does not have quicktime installed. anyway instead of taking screenshots try to file>print>save as PDF. you will have your whole presentation as one PDF this way.
for the future, to avoid this kinda problems change the jpg files to tiff (you will need photoshop) with bite order for PC, or instead of drag, just insert>picture>from file in powerpoint.

J

Jefe3223

Quicktime COULD be the problem, but there is a failure in the design of power point, sometimes, that a bunch of people I know learned the hard way, that is not a problem with windows. Here's the thing, a lot of powerpoints, won't save the image to the powerpoint presentation itself. It saves temporarily on the presentation, but not with it (especially video clips). When you bring a presentation to a pc (via a flashdrive or while sending it) make sure you take (or send) the video clip too. That way, the presentation can find the video (or picture) when it looks for it.

This may sound stupid, but it's how it works. Try, if that doesn't work, let me know and I'll give you some more ideas.

OP
E
Reaction score
Really? That's rediculous, PowerPoint on PC it saves them with it, the thing is I had 10 slides all text, 2 with two images that were JPG format at 16kb and it was 800kb when I saved the presentation. Maybe he didn't have quicktime but I have it on my Dell and it did it too, did it on everyones and I know some of the people did. For one picture I did save it as JPG, it was a JPG to begin with and it still said the error about TIFF. I'll try sending the pictures with it next time though, I just don't remember having this problem at all. I first encountered it at school, my battery was dieing so I used a lab computer that has ALL software and it did it too so I couldn't use it. It's not even a video just JPG. Maybe I'll try keynote, but its crappy compared to powerpoint, but then again so is powerpoint compared to the PC version, oh well thanks!

J

Jefe3223

Yeah. I've known that this can happen with pc, too (i was listening in on a bus conversation. There's a way to have powerpoint store the entire thing on it and then there's a way for it just to seamlessly link up. I'm not sure how to switch, though.

OP
E
Reaction score
If you go to options, then general, and click movie options, that's where that option is, but it's already selected on mine :p

OP
E
Reaction score
Still didn't work. The exact error is "QuickTime and a TIFF (uncompressed) decompressor are needed to see this picture.

J

Jefe3223

Well this is a conundrum. I had a problem once with the same (relatively so) thing happened. But it worked on my roommates computer. I'm at a loss.
:'( I've failed! haha, sorry. I hope it works out for you. keep us updated on what you find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.