MacBook, Windows 7 and XP

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I've had Windows XP Professional SP3 running on my MacBook for sometime for games. (WoW mostly.. please dont go on about how it runs on OS X, I prefer it on Windows).
Anyway, I created another partition on my hard drive and installed the Windows 7 RTM (the exact same version that will be released in October).
In XP in WoW for example, I manage to get an average of around 30fps, but in Windows 7 it drops to around 15fps.
I cant for the life of me figure this out. I've tried running it in compatibility mode, disabling visual themes, aero, updating drivers and so on.
Drivers ARE all up to date on both XP and 7..
Everyone else seems to be reporting FPS boosts on 7. Why don't I get this? :'(

Here are my specs:
White MacBook
2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo T7400
2GB RAM
GMA950
120GB HD

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
It's because windows 7 is still in beta and so not all the drivers aren't exactly working as they should be. But yeah really why no WoW on mac? I love it on my mac, and if your worried about those addons all those clients work on the mac well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I installed the retail version of Win7 (via MSDN) on my Rev B MBA 1.86Ghz/128SSD. I was NOT happy. Via Parallels it ran the fans constantly and was quite slow. Frame rates for video were way off, even when dedicating 1CPU core, 1GB of 1067 Mhz RAM, and 128MB of VRAM to the Win7 VM. I removed Win7 and installed a WinXPSP3 VM with the same settings. I use to use the XP VM until a month ago. It ran just fine - no fans, video was fine, performance was snappy. I'm assuming Parallels v5 will have better Win7 drivers. It's still odd, since the drivers in Parallels are essentially for Vista, and Win7 is essentially Vista. Anyhow, both WinXP and Win7 seem to run fine via Parallels on a Late 2008 MBP 2.53Ghz. I know you are running via Bootcamp, but I wanted to throw that out there.
-Dave

OP
J
Reaction score
I know this is kinda blasphemous and I'm bound to get flamed for it but I generally prefer Windows :)o) (not that OS X doesn't have its perks of course) but yeah, I got this MacBook through my school, and I find it has great hardware, but OS X doesn't give me the freedom I want with programs.

OP
J
Reaction score
I installed the retail version of Win7 (via MSDN) on my Rev B MBA 1.86Ghz/128SSD. I was NOT happy. Via Parallels it ran the fans constantly and was quite slow. Frame rates for video were way off, even when dedicating 128MB of RAM to the Win7 VM. I removed Win7 and installed a WinXPSP3 VM with the same settings. I use to use the XP VM until a month ago. It ran just fine - no fans, video was fine, performance was snappy. I'm assuming Parallels v5 will have better Win7 drivers. It's still odd, since the drivers in Parallels are essentially for Vista, and Win7 is essentially Vista. Anyhow, both WinXP and Win7 seem to run fine via Parallels on a Late 2008 MBP 2.53Ghz. I know you are running via Bootcamp, but I wanted to throw that out there.
-Dave

Cheers Dave.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.