Using MacBook with Projector

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook4,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Greetings, Mac Forums. . . .

What should I do to connect my MacBook to an external projector?

I have a Black MacBook 13 inch, running OSX Leopard. I also have installed Office for Mac 2008.

I was facilitating a workshop and used my MacBook to show the PowerPoint presentation and other examples on a projector. I connected the laptop to the projector serial cable using a Mac VGA adapter cable (can't think of the real name for the cable).

On the first and second nights, the machine presentation worked flawlessly. Then on night 3, while I was setting up, the screen went blank. I had my background projected, but I did not see any icons at all. After restarting the laptop and restarting the projector, everything seemed to work again.

On the last night, the same problem occurred, and I could not figure out at all how to solve it. I saw a dialog box on the projected screen, but did not see that same box on my laptop screen. I finally realized that somehow my screen resolution was set so that my icons were off to the side of the projected screen. I could finally drag them to the center, but I could not open any program or file.

I finally had to capitulate and use a colleague's PC laptop to get through the rest of the final session.

What should I do to set my MacBook for use with a projector? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks . . . . :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Have you tried "Detect Displays" in System Preferences?

screenshot 2009-09-02 at 11.13.58 AM.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook4,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Hello mdfuller . . . thanks for the reply and suggestion. Actually, I tried "Detect Displays" when I was trying to figure out what the problem was last night. I went to the Apple support links through my Safari browser, and found that I might have inadvertently set up my laptop and the projector to act in dual display mode. So I was viewing the files on my laptop screen and a blank screen with the projector. Apparently all I had to do was press the F7 key to get out of the dual display mode . . .

It was a weird experience. . . . I am still a newbie with the "Mac," and although it does get frustrating at times, I am still glad I switched over . . .

If you find out any thing else, please share . . . and I will do the same . . .

All the best to you in life & affairs . . .

Thanks again . . .

Stryving

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Seems like your MacBook detected the projector as a second display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.