Cannot change partition size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 6 GB RAM OS X 10.6.4
Hello all,

With my recent purchase of Snow Leopard, I created a second partition to instal 10.6, while I keep my 10.5 running on the original. I'm in the process of moving files from 10.5 to 10.6. When trying to change the partition size of 10.5 partition to make it smaller to make more room for 10.6 I encounter this message every time.

"Partition failed with the error:

The partition cannot be resized. Try reducing the amount of change in the size of the partition."

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? It might surprise you, but I've actually done what it recommends, trying a smaller change. I tried as little as 5 GB, no dice, same message.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why stop at 5GB? If the message says go smaller, try it! If it allows 1GB, then do that multiple times.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, you want me to do this action 600 times? I'm dealing with 1 TB. The point is... this shouldn't be happening. I should be able to just resize the partition without any problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
These may be silly questions, but if I may....

Have you run Verify/Repair Permissions and Verify/Repair Disk? Have you run fsck to do a filesystem check?

Are any other apps open while you're attempting to resize?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a silly question at all.

I did try to run the permissions verify/ repair, but they are greyed out on that disk/ partition. I did run the plain verify/repair... I also thought to close all apps while doing so. Nothing at all was running.

When I first tried to create the partition I was going to instal SL on, disk utility kept crashing on 'arranging partition map'. I had to restart my iMac twice before it successfully created a new partition...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds to me like there might be some kind of filesystem corruption. My advice would be to do the following:

1. Turn the machine off.
2. Turn the machine back on and immediately press and hold Command+S.
3. This will start you in "single user mode", which is a text-only mode.
4. Type the following:

/sbin/fsck -f

5. Allow the filesystem check to run. When it finishes, if it found no problems, type:

exit

6. If it found any problems, run it again until it finds no problems.

Then boot normally and give it another shot.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. Did that. No dice.

There's like 500 GB free space on this partition, and I'd really like to make more room for my other one...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, thanks for your help guys, it seems to have fixed itself...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool beans. Glad to hear it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, kinda premature. I fixed the original issue...

But. Now I can't change the size of my partition with SL. I can create a new partition in the free space... But, cannot modify the second one. It does not have the slider in the corner, and I cannot manually change the size by typing it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Even though you may have enough empty space available, this error will happen when there isn't enough disk space unallocated ... meaning ... Try these things:

1- Empty your trash.
2- Do you have Parallels, Fusion, or anything else with a large sparse file or sparse bundle? You may have to delete or find a way to shrink that. The unused space counts, up to the maximum size of the sparse file.

Reaction score
iDefrag solved it

Hi All,
I had the same problem while trying to create a partition. It used to prompt :

"Partition failed with the error:
The partition cannot be resized. Try reducing the amount of change in the size of the partition."

I solved it by using iDefrag 2.2.4 . This tool showed that my harddisk was heavily fragmented and thats why the OS had no space for a contiguous memory chunk to create a new partition. Once I defragmented the harddisk, the partitioning was successful. The whole task took 30 min and the problem was solved.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.