External Back up options

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 5.1, 2.66 gHz, 4gb ddr3, 9600m gt/9400m
So heres my situation and what I would like to be able to do. I am a film student and need a way to back up all of my Final Cut and other media files in a safe way. I have decided I want to archive all of my projects and media files to an external RAID 1 setup (2 x 1TB). I am currently looking for options. I would rather it not be a NAS drive (I already have a 2 x 1TB DNS 323 for a movies and music server). I would like to just find an enclosure and buy the drives myself. I have been shopping around and have seen some options, but they all seem pretty expensive. I dont want to spend $100 just on the enclosure. I might as well buy another NAS for that price. I am hoping that someone might be able to point me in the possible direction of options. I have found RAID 0 enclosures for relatively cheap, but for some reason finding similar enclosures that are RAID 1 compatible has been difficult. Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
i am not anywhere near an expert but my son is and i will try to paraphrase what he told me when i wanted to do the same thing.

My iMac does not come with Raid support and i need to buy an external drive with raid built in. he found wd20000h2q 2tb drive to have Raid built in. he set it up as raid 0. the Apple store in Tampa has it for 329 (as of a couple of months ago). i got it on the internet for 299. works well but the connector is touchy and any movement of the drive and it goes off line. not a problem, if is leave it alone.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You are not going to find a new RAID1 enclosure for less than $100.

Think if I were looking for one - this one would be on my short list at $150.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.