Mini vs iMac

Reaction score
I have a real newbie question.
What are the practical usage differences between a Mini and iMac? I am not asking about specific specs, but rather, what can't I do with a Mini that I could do with an iMac?
Sorry for the stupidity of my question, but I am new to Mini's.
Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You can do the same thing with a Mini that you can do with an iMac once you buy/hook up a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. You can get much better specs in an iMac, but you said that wasn't the part that confused you. What exactly will you be doing with the machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
It's a good question.

One of the real compelling things about the mini versus the iMac is the small form factor. It's a very convenient fairly powerful little machine that doesn't take up space. Also, it's extremely quiet, I mean like virtually no noise at all.

Lot's of people are using the mac mini in the living room versus the office as a way to build and maintain an affordable Home Theater PC/Media server type setup.

The iMac is a good machine of course, but obviously it consumes more space, you don't have the option to upgrade the main monitor and it would be somewhat awkward in the average living room.

The iMac is really a 'desktop' computer in every sense of the word where the mini is much more flexible in it's potential uses (desktop, media PC etc).

OP
Y
Reaction score
I only have desktop space that allows a somewhat small monitor(17 inch). I would be using it for email, web, Blackberry backup etc....
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a real newbie question.
What are the practical usage differences between a Mini and iMac? I am not asking about specific specs, but rather, what can't I do with a Mini that I could do with an iMac?
Sorry for the stupidity of my question, but I am new to Mini's.
Thanks !

The original purpose behind the Mini was an inexpensive way to purchase your first Macintosh computer or upgrade from an older Mac computer...you were already supposed to have your own keyboard, mouse, and monitor to make this philosophy work. Price for the original Mac-Mini was $499.

Otherwise if you had to purchase a monitor, keyboard, and mouse...then an iMac might have been a better choice financially.

Remembering one thing...in 2005 when the Mac mini was first released, LCD monitors were MUCH more expensive then they are today!!!...of course you could have used a CRT monitor as well.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini G4/1.25 GHz
I have had a mac mini for 3 years now and it has been really good. I have a Dell 20 Inch crt monitor attached. Looks a bit odd as the mini is such a nice small unit. But recommend.

That is the reason i have joined, I would like to upgrade to a imac G5 and pass my mini onto my younger brother.

I hope to find a good bargain here in the UK.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I would be using it for email, web, Blackberry backup etc...

Not sure what etc. includes, and I don't own a Blackberry. But, if e-mail and web browsing are your main uses for it, a Mini will do fine. In addition to that, I use mine for word processing, spreadsheets, and iPhoto.

T

todd51

As toMACsh said, a mini will easily handle what your wanting! You could also hook it up to a nice TV and use a wireless keyboard/mouse to control it. This can easily be used as a media center which is why a lot of people like Mac Minis.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Is there a way for me to tell if the 17 inch Dell Monitor and keyboard that I have been using will work on the Mac Mini?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Just look at the specs for the mac mini on apples website. As long as your monitor is DVI and keyboard is usb you are all set.

Reaction score
if you want to be doing big task the the imac is where to look if you want a faster computer and need osx then mac mini is good and of course you can move it around much easer

hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
I'm assuming by "imac" you mean the more recent models, not the 1999-2002 versions.

I have owned a Mac Mini for several years now, and it's an excellent computer. However, (if this is still the case) I believe that Mac Mini has a much smaller hard drive, and a sub-standard graphics card (my idea of a graphics card is one where you can run a 3d game with no flaws), among other things.

I suggest the iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.