Leopard on my eMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
The computer is stuck halfway between Tiger and Leopard. I don't have a Tiger disc anymore.

-I have a 10.5.1 Leopard disk
-I have an image of said Leopard disc on a SATA drive that used to be in my PowerMac G5 (so it should be readable by the eMac's PPC processor)
-The Leopard disc ejected from the eMac, the eMac does not recognize my keyboard or mouse input once it tries to boot up. I could try to install again, but I need to get the disc into the computer somehow... is this possible? Should I try to boot from an external USB source (my SATA drives have a USB dock that I've tried connecting and booting from, but I don't think they were quite a bootable volume).
-I tried to boot my MacBook (C2D) from the Leopard disc to install the disk onto the hard drive, but my computer cannot boot from the Leopard disc as it is too new for the firmware.

So, what I need from you guys... either (1) how do I open my DVD drive on the eMac to put the disc back in and try again, or (2) how do I take the image of the Leopard disc and make a bootable volume on my external SATA drive?

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... I found my original MacBook restore discs... here's the question now... could I boot from them (on the MB) and install a bootable version of Leopard (for the eMac) onto the external SATA?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
... I found my original MacBook restore discs... here's the question now... could I boot from them (on the MB) and install a bootable version of Leopard (for the eMac) onto the external SATA?
No, that won't work.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay... any ideas then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. eMac will not boot from USB connection must be Firewire.

2. Is Leopard X.5.1 a full retail install DVD?

3. Does the eMac exceed the 867MHz processor speed? If it is a 1.25GHz model, have you checked out the capacitor problem?

Keep us posted.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Capacitor problem? It is the 1.25GHz variety... and that's ridiculous that it won't boot from USB considering it has USB 2.0... but yea. It's looking like I may have to drive an hour and a half with the machine and see if I can get my dad to let me commandeer his powerbook for a little while. Eff.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DarkestRitual 1 - eMac 0

Booted into target disk mode and installed Leopard successfully via my dad's iMac G4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.