Draining Battery = Power Off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
I am just wondering if it is supposed to happen that when you kill the battery on the new MacBook Pro (by use) that it just shuts the computer off altogether rather than putting it to sleep. My iBook G4 tells me I'm on reserve battery power and to save my work at 10% battery, then at around 1% it goes to sleep. My new MBP gives the same 10% warning, but then lets it go all the way to 0% and just shuts off. Is this intentional on Mac's end? Seems kind of ridiculous if it is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am just wondering if it is supposed to happen that when you kill the battery on the new MacBook Pro (by use) that it just shuts the computer off altogether rather than putting it to sleep. My iBook G4 tells me I'm on reserve battery power and to save my work at 10% battery, then at around 1% it goes to sleep. My new MBP gives the same 10% warning, but then lets it go all the way to 0% and just shuts off. Is this intentional on Mac's end? Seems kind of ridiculous if it is.

I usually don't let my battery get that low so I don't see the warning very often...but when you get the warning at 10% on your MBP...I guess that means it's time to plug it in.;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Older Mac notebooks had a different battery calibration process as well as different behavior when the battery was exhausted.

In older models, the computers state was not saved automatically when the battery was exhausted and the computer went into a sleep state. At this point you would have to plug in the machine and save everything or risk losing data. This is the reason for the extended sleep period to give you that extra bit of time to save everything without shutting down abruptly.

Newer models don't have this issue and save the state of open files using the 'safe sleep' function. As a result, the shutdown poses no risk to your data and the computer can safely shutdown. This is why if you ever let a new Mac 'die' the computer is in the same state when you plug it back in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Older Mac notebooks had a different battery calibration process as well as different behavior when the battery was exhausted.

In older models, the computers state was not saved automatically when the battery was exhausted and the computer went into a sleep state. At this point you would have to plug in the machine and save everything or risk losing data. This is the reason for the extended sleep period to give you that extra bit of time to save everything without shutting down abruptly.

Newer models don't have this issue and save the state of open files using the 'safe sleep' function. As a result, the shutdown poses no risk to your data and the computer can safely shutdown. This is why if you ever let a new Mac 'die' the computer is in the same state when you plug it back in.

But letting it go all the way down to 0 percent is how you calibrate the new MBP right? After it went down to 0 percent and turned off I plugged it back in as you are supposed to let it go to 0 percent at least 1 time a month correct? I hope I calibrated it correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Great.... I didn't follow this step.

Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

Does that mean I didn't calibrate it right and need to do it again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't hurt to do it. To be quite honest, I think I calibrated the battery in my MBP 17 inch 2.33 like twice in the past 3 years so, I am probably not the best judge on this :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.