Anyone having problems with Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB/ 60GB 5G iPod/ 160GB 6G iPod/ 8GB Nano/ 32GB 2nd Gen iTouch
I just got done talking to some friends of mine at work who just installed SL. They now have problems with the wireless internet. Now they can't connect to the internet. Something about Safari not recognizing network or something like that. Anyone having a problem with that? And if you did, how did you solve it?

OP
NMMI89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB/ 60GB 5G iPod/ 160GB 6G iPod/ 8GB Nano/ 32GB 2nd Gen iTouch
Well, I just installed SL. Took about 50 mins. Not a problem with my wireless connections. Maybe my friends did something quirky. Although, my MacBook is running hot. Is this normal after an upgrade?

OP
NMMI89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I guess that worked. Also did what I did and turned Airport off and on again....crisis averted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 15.4" Santa Rosa (C2D, 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD)
The only issues I'm having with SL so far involve one app (EyeTV 3.1.2 not recognizing/picking up all my local [Phoenix, AZ] HD QAM [over-the-air broadcast] channels) ... AND ... the more perplexing...

Service Battery???? This has been intermittent, but certainly an issue for me since upgrading to SL last Friday... here's the scoop: I have had the Service Battery indicator come up a number of times... and the charge has been inconsistent and from time to time, it drops like a rock... I have done two calibrations so far, and going to try a total of five before making any push judgements... but I have pulled the MBP off the mains for the last hour to hour and a half, and it has steadily kept a charge while I've done regular surfing and normal apps... right now it's sitting at 53 min charge left, but it's dropping a tad quicker (in the writing of this sentence, it has bailed 2%)... so I'm not sure if SL is causing battery performance or reporting issues, or what... anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 3GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 16GB, Sonoma 14.2.1
I'm compiling a list of gripes but here are the ones which instantly spring to mind:

1) There is no driver which will allow my faithful old HP DeskJet 950C to print in duplex mode & HP/Apple say there won't be in future. This is the show stopper for me - I'm not buying a new printer just to satisfy this shortcoming of the new release. Why don't the old drivers work?

2) Mail has gone unstable and crashes at irregular intervals. I've sent the report to Apple but won't hold my breath...

3) My wife's address book has been corrupted. Strange interleaving of entries.

4) The old version of Pysol doesn't work under 10.6 - had to download a new version and lost all my game stats -!

I'm thinking of going back to 10.5.8 if anyone knows how please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Weird issue ......

When I open up a new tab in Safari, I have it set to open " top sites "
when I launch a web site from " top sites " I see very colorfull vertical lines across the screen for 2 seconds and then the site launches without any issues.

This only happens when booted in 64 bit not in 32.

Must say I am not really bothered with that, just thought I would share in case someone else encounters a similar issue.

Machine is running fine and is much more responsive.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Man, I keep learning about new bugs and issues with SL. I received my copy a few days ago and have been sitting on it, which I plan on doing for at least another couple weeks until some decent reviews come along with in depth details on what the down sides are to it.

Is there a website (or websites) which has an up-to-date compiled list of bugs, driver issues and such, and where users can go to input their experiences ?

Doug

OP
NMMI89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've lost 8% in my charge in the 30 mins since I opened my MBP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Man, I keep learning about new bugs and issues with SL. I received my copy a few days ago and have been sitting on it, which I plan on doing for at least another couple weeks until some decent reviews come along with in depth details on what the down sides are to it.

Is there a website (or websites) which has an up-to-date compiled list of bugs, driver issues and such, and where users can go to input their experiences ?

Doug

Just stay tuned here. :) Or, if you really feel ambitious and like to stay up late with several pots of coffee, read the Apple sponsored forum listings under "Installing Snow Leopard". That forum has been overwhelmed but if you're good at searching, you can glean lot of good info from there.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't think most people know just how much has changed under the hood of 10.6.

It's totally HP's fault as Apple nor Microsoft for that matter write the drivers. They come from HP and the other hardware manufactures. If there is an issue, go to the people who made the hardware. They are the ones responsible to make the drivers work when an OS is updated.

HP in the past has been very nasty about driver support for OSX and especially their older printers/scanners. If enough people complain and stop supporting HP, they will have to listen.

When Vista came out, many drivers did not work and had to be updated. HP and other companies need to get on the ball and write new drivers for their faithful customers.

So far here with my hardware, not one issue. Everything works. Brother Laser printer, Epson Perfection scanner. Even my Logitech Web Camera works.

Reaction score
"Question OS 10.6 - Anyone having problems with Snow Leopard? "
Just this am, I installed sl. I noticed I can't access my hidden accounts on my computer. Before I had 10.5 with few hidden accounts for admins to access, then i upgraded a test computer.
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
I have problems that haven't been fixed from Leopard but the only new problem is the fact Cyberduck isn't compatible yet.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Anyone have an answer to this one?

I have a Mac Pro desktop that has preformed well under both Tiger and Leopard. I installed Snow leopard and now the reboot or shutdown neither one will work. It goes to a blue screen with the round thing going round and round and just sits there. I have let it run for up to an hour and the only way to get it shut down is to turn the power off.

Everything else works great. Boots faster, goes to sleep much faster, and all the programs seem to run just fine. On my iMac and laptop it reboots or shuts down in about 4 or 5 seconds.

Reaction score
I have had a lot of strange problems crop up since my installation. The most irritating is that my wireless home network has gone Guano Crazy. A phantom network "/" shows up and then disappears. I live miles from armpit of civilization and there are no other networks about unless the bears have gone high tech. Duplicates of my home network appear and then disappear. My mail program has started acting up allowing me to send and then not send email. My speed goes from very fast to very slow. I have reset my modem, run utilities and spoken very rudely to my MacBook. I could not stop my wife from installing it on her MacBook. She is beginning to have a few problems mirroring mine. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
The only problems on my IMac were with Unix stuff. PerlTK and Mysql. But those were fixed in a few days. All the Apple supplied apps and my few thirdparty apps are fine. So far I have found nothing that is not working on the OSX side.

As far as the speed goes, I see no difference, but mainly because my machine was very fast to begin with. I am sure a set of benchmark test would show differences but from the keyboard there are none.

Konan

Reaction score
Weird issue ......

When I open up a new tab in Safari, I have it set to open " top sites "
when I launch a web site from " top sites " I see very colorfull vertical lines across the screen for 2 seconds and then the site launches without any issues.

This only happens when booted in 64 bit not in 32.

Must say I am not really bothered with that, just thought I would share in case someone else encounters a similar issue.

Machine is running fine and is much more responsive.

Cheers ... McBie
I am also seeing this "color vertical lines" when launching from Top sites.

Another problem I am noticing is that Safari is slowing down and I am starting to hear the hard drive working more, even though I am not doing much to make it work so hard.

Actually, my MacPro seems be less responsive now.
It's weird because it seem to be more "responsive" right after installing Snow Leopard. But now it seems to be slowing down. I am trying to trouble shoot it by seeing if it is caused by any one or combination of applications running.
I normally have the following programs running at the same time:
Safari, TweetDeck, Yahoo IM, Eclipse IDE

Reaction score
Hi, Just to add to the list of problems - I just upgraded to SL and now the disk utility 'quits unexpectedly' as does a couple of other programs (I run a VEHO microscope that now wont run. I get the same 'Quits Unexpectedly' error message - and it wont run when I select re-open.
Is anyone else having a problem with programs not working under snow Leopard? If so, any help would be much appreciated.
Eddie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I have had problems w/ many programs freezing and me having to Force Quit them, specifically Safari.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.