Soon To Be a Switcher

J

johncpiercy

Hey Gang :]
Im a soon to be a switcher
Im just in the process of ordering a 12 inch PB w/Superdrive

Im tired of the Spyware , Virus etc etc of Uncle Bills World ( M$)
Im a complete newbie with Mac's
Only touched one Mac "once"

Ive built PC"s , formatted XP , I consider myself knowledeable
with XP

Where do I start with Mac,s

Any good websites to read
I need some RSS feeds
Books to buy

Any or all help would be appreciated

John Piercy

:dive:

OP
D

Desolate One

It will come even easier then PCs so don't even worry about it. I know this as an out of work certified professional.
You'll learn the most by doing.

Welcome aboard! :mac:

OP
I

iDVFH.

Your better off just getting it, using it and whatever you don't know just ask us! give us a list of questions and your bound to get an answer (correct) within 15 minutes to an hour or so.

OP
J

johncpiercy

Desolate One said:
It will come even easier then PCs so don't even worry about it. I know this as an out of work certified professional.
You'll learn the most by doing.

Welcome aboard! :mac:

thanks for the quick reply

Most task's on the pC , dont even make me flinch
Some of the fireman I work with get scared turning on the PC
I have faith that I can learn the Mac

Im looking forward to the challenge

JP

OP
D

Desolate One

You know what I find so amazing about my switch? The huge increase in productivity since I'm not running virus or spyware scanners, updating said software, and the other mysterious problems I had w/ Windows. Granted my scans always came up clean since my network is secure, I'm just the type of person that lives by the motto "better safe then sorry". I mean you can't tell your boss, well the network is secure, we don't need AV software. heh.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Welcome to the forums!!!
In addition to the sites above here is a primer guide written for new mini users. It really has little to nothing specific to the mini so it should do nicely as a starters guide:

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/miniguide.ars

On the other hand if you are an experienced computer user jumping right in without a manual is very doable. Of course if you have any questions the forums here are a nice place to ask. Just please do a search first to see if it has been asked before. We love to help, but it can sometimes get tiring of seeing the same question twice a week. ;)

OP
D

Desolate One

Kokopelli said:
Welcome to the forums!!!
In addition to the sites above here is a primer guide written for new mini users. It really has little to nothing specific to the mini so it should do nicely as a starters guide:

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/miniguide.ars

On the other hand if you are an experienced computer user jumping right in without a manual is very doable. Of course if you have any questions the forums here are a nice place to ask. Just please do a search first to see if it has been asked before. We love to help, but it can sometimes get tiring of seeing the same question twice a week. ;)

That being said:

Viruses/spyware- Don't worry about it, it's not worrying about you!

Office suites- AppleWorks (unfortunately not bundled w/ the PB, plays nice w/ MSOffice files. MSOffice is also available for macs.

Playing .avi files- I like VLC, alot of others prefer MPlayer

Keyboard shortcuts are your friends- http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651

Software installs- Easy as drag & drop!

Potential trackpad problem for ya- http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=948

Well I'm spent! :)

OP
K

Kokopelli

P.S. my comment about searching had nothing to do with this thread in specific, just a general suggestion.

OP
D

Desolate One

Kokopelli said:
P.S. my comment about searching had nothing to do with this thread in specific, just a general suggestion.

And a good suggestion it was. Thus my retort being the top ones I can recall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.