time machine error

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL
hope this is in the right area, i did a search, and found only a few threads, but none provided a solution.

Problem: I attempted my first back up on my MBP (ver: 10.5.8) It starts to back up my data (total of 48 gigs), it gets somewhere past 7 gigs and then just fails.

I have not seen the failure, but when i go back and check it has rebooted and when i log in an bring up time machine it just says failed, and that an error occured. which is a pretty obvious and totally useless msg.

I know i have enough space on the drive i am trying to use (over 200 gigs of free space)

question: is there another area I can check that might provide more information as to why the error occured? Or has anyone else encountered this problem and have a solution.

other info:
I turned off the screen saver, and automatic hibernate features, so it would just stay on forever. I also unplugged the ethernet cable to prevent any outside interferance (updates etc.) Its plugged into to a constant power source.

the drive i am trying to back up to was formated using my mac to one of the apple file systems (i can't remember the name, but it was the default choice)
drive info: WD mybook 500 gig.

I have also removed the failed backups on the drive and tried again, to the same effect.

again i apologize if i am in the wrong area for this post.

thanks for any assistance.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL
Thanks for the info, while i did format the drive this may be the problem. unfortunately i have to wait until i get home to check it out.

will repost with success/failure later this evening.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL
I was able to locate the partition section and click on options to choose the correct MBR (or rather GUID). I believe this will solve my problem.

thanks again for the help.

on a side note. the initial back up TAKES FORRRREEEEVVVVVEEEEERRRRRR!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL
On a side note to others, even if you format your drive as MAC OSX extended you still need to check your partition and make sure it is GUID (for intel based macs) in order for time machine to work properly for backups over 10 gigs.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL
I guess that was not the problem. even now with a different drive formatted with MAC osx extended, AND with the proper partition GUID setting. IT STILL DID NOT WORK. major bummer.

I still hate the fact that it doesn't tell me why it failed, after a while i come back to my machine and it prompts me for my user name and pass, when i log back in nothing is running, and time machine has failed once again.

is time machine logging me out in order to copy my file vault?? or is this automatic log out something that is stopping the back up?? either way i am getting very frustrated.

well, unless someone can shed some light, im just gonna say screw it and upgrade without a time machine back up, i have already manually backed up my important files anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Umm...did you say 'filevault'? Do you mean to say your home directory is encrypted?

If this is the case, I believe you have to logout for TM to actually work when using FileVault. There are some rules about the filevault volume and whether or not you upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, but that doesn't sound like a problem in your case.

I found a few links:

macosxhints.com - 10.5: How to use Time Machine with FileVault

and

Mac OS X 10.5: Security tips for using Time Machine over a network

Both documents clearly state that you have to be logged out for it to work, so, if you are using filevault that sounds like the issue you are running into.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL
you are right about file vault, however that warning is stated when you first initiate a back up.

I would also speculate that it shouldn't prevent the back up as, How are you supposed to initiate a back up in the first place?

anyway i successfully upgraded to snow leopard, and am so far very pleased. the only thing that changed was my McAfee was incompatible, but i already had the new version ready to go.

another thing is that Geek Tool which i used to display a cal and system processes and a to do list on my background was affected. the system processes no longer display. which is understandable.

upon digging and checking my settings to ensure they were still set correctly, I came upon my security setting that would automatically log me out if there was no activity for 60 min. I suspect now that this was my issue.

i have disabled that setting for the time being and have initiated another back up. I will post up in the morning if success finds me.

thanks for everyones support so far.

if this fails i guess i will just log out and keep the machine on, to see if when time machine tries again in a hour it will be successful.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL
FINALLY! that was it

Ok, so i checked back before i decided to hit the sack and what do you know it worked.

so lesson here is, make sure you check your security settings and disable the auto log off for your initial back up.

ensure your partition on the drive you are backing up is the correct one (GUID for intel macs) find this by going disk utility > click on the partition under the disk, then click on the partition button at the top. then click on number of partitions wanted, then click options, then choose appropriate setting.

also, to comment on file vault, my backup was successful and then when i told it to shut down, after it logged me of it started a back up of my filevault, then it shut down. so that should answer any questions concerning backing up and filevault.

hope my troubles can be of benefit to someone else.

tags:

"time machine errors", "back up fails", "back up error", "10.5 back up", "10.6 back up"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.