Time Machine STILL not File-Location-Aware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
I move large files around alot.

Time Machine's current design backs up multiple copies of the file in each location, even if the file itself hasn't changed.

Please fix this because I work with large video files alot and so I barely have any hard drive space left on the external.

The current workaround I am using is to go to previous Backup dates in Time Machine to delete copies of the large files from previous dates in the backup timeline.

I was kinda hoping Snow Leopard would fix this. I am using Snow Leopard (released recently), but the selector for the OS version on the Feedback Form only goes up to "Mac OS 10.5.x".

I would be very greatful if a future point update.

I finally sent THAT in to Apple's Feedback center because I was so bloody frustrated.

I want to know who else agrees with me ;)

I mean, wouldn't it just be a simple matter of adding a hash check or checking the "date modified" tag?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
it's been a couple of days since i posted this, so i thought id BUMP lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Keep copies of large files in another folder and tell TM to not back that folder up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Unmount Time Machine and only mount the TM drive and Back up when you have everything sorted. You don't have to keep it Backing up every hour 24/7.
Mine gets backed up a couple of times a week.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.