I am ordering a new MBP 17" from apple.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
Hello-
(I have a feeling there is too much here, but I was wondering what the post on OSX is about? I saw it and I read it but I did not understand what its main theme was. I know, I am way stupid, but I get better after I am told the answer.)

You guys have been very polite to me. On the other forums by my 3 post, I have people begging me to leave and ask my "obvious" questions somewhere else.

anyway, this is for any expert or how about a panel of experts?

I am getting ready to order a MBP, 17", I hope do not have to get the glossy one but if I do than maybe I will step down to the 15". I need 6GB of ram. that is a fact and because I pix at the keys, explaining it will produce a bunch of typing with errors and then you might ask me to go elsewhere, s take it as fact, need at least 6 GB of ram. I have heard that mixing brands and not putting exactly what apple put in can cause some problems down the road. I have only heard this, never had anybody say; "yep, that happened to me." Anyway, have a copy (the first version that I never used that if find out it can take the "place" of Bootcamp, I would pick Fusion. My knowledge n this area is very immature (or premature or immature or??) and I am not sure my brain can comprehend a virtual computer or whatever Fusion creates. I would just want to be able to work on Mac and Windowez apps n the same desktop at the same time and not have a lot of problems.

So, can I get some feedback on the ram and why OCW (I think that is the company) sells for the new ram a "tool kit?" what does the tool kit do and do I really need one? it says this above the ram for the new MBP unibody that can hold 8gb of ram.

Should I order the Snow Leopard right off or is this something I would want to wait? Do not ask me why I asked this questions, it just seems this s a frequent question people ask me all the time.

I read either at apple.com that in the stores or online or both that they will install all the apps I order, not just the one free install anymore.

I am gong to get One-on-One in hopes that the local apple store I can get help migrating everything over from my old MBP to the new one?

I have been using my friend's new MBP with Leopard (which I have not used yet) and the "cinematography" of Leopard kind of bothered me. (I can hear the crowds coming t get me now. The display an the gloss display just seemed like it was for the latest futuristic movie like starting Star Wars all over again but it was made for this type of use. Anyway, I am probably not making sense. On one had I am excited on the other since I seem to always lose my airport connection at a hot spot or even at a friend's house using airport Extreme and once that happens it is like I have to just give everything time to rest before I can establish a connection again. I know sounds odd but it happens. I am so glad I have not had to call applecare on this lately because they never know how to deal with it and I waste more time with them trying to figure something out.. It fins them really well and 30 minutes later I am going through Network Diagnostics. and I never have any luck once the notebook leads me to go through Network Diag. Anyway, just more of a comment then expecting somebody to have an answer. (But some help would be appreciated.)

I have that Missing Manual booklet coming and I hope it helps me if I am using Snow Leopard.

Oh, last question. I always repair and check permissions on my HD icon (I only have 2 in disk utility) but I heard that I should be doing it with a disk installed or something like that. I guess it is a tool that I did not get with my MBP and I think (if I am remembering correctly) that I was going to download it but finding the right DVD was a frustrating process. Any suggestions on using Disk Utility right? It seems I always have a problem even if I use it and go back a few minutes later, there is another permission that need repairing.

Peace

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm only answering the coherent parts of your post.

The 15" comes with a matte screen as does the 17". It just cost more money.

Your MBP should come with Snow Leopard pre installed if you were to buy one now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm only answering the coherent parts of your post.

My head started to explode after the 2nd paragraph. ;D

OP...you should break this post up into parts...too much for one message!

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
I would go for the glossy screen actually. More vivid color, and even in the out of doors, it's easier to read than the matte in my opinion.

Other than that I couldn't quite make out what you were talking about...

Try out pigoo3's advice. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I hope do not have to get the glossy one but if I do than maybe I will step down to the 15

I believe you have the option of getting the non-glossy matte screen with the 17 inch MBP, but not the 15 inch, so if your goal is to get an anti-glare screen (which I think is much better and represents colors more accurately), then you'll want to ask for it specifically with the 17 inch model.

I need 6GB of ram. that is a fact and because I pix at the keys, explaining it will produce a bunch of typing with errors and then you might ask me to go elsewhere, s take it as fact, need at least 6 GB of ram.

What does the amount of RAM have to do with typing? This doesn't seem to make any sense.

I have heard that mixing brands and not putting exactly what apple put in can cause some problems down the road. I have only heard this, never had anybody say; "yep, that happened to me."

Brands of what? Macs come with drivers for many kinds of non-Apple peripherals, though it might be hard to find drivers for a few. If you mean software, there are some software titles that don't exist for Mac, and there are some apps (including third party ones) which work only with Macs. But I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

Anyway, have a copy (the first version that I never used that if find out it can take the "place" of Bootcamp, I would pick Fusion.

I have no idea what you're saying here. You have a copy of what?

I would just want to be able to work on Mac and Windowez apps n the same desktop at the same time and not have a lot of problems.

You shouldn't have any problems with Parallels or Fusion, just be aware that for gaming and graphics-intensive work you will need Boot Camp to reboot into Windows, since a virtual machine must share processing power, which makes certain things run slow. But it will be fine for using most general applications like MS Office from your Mac desktop.

So, can I get some feedback on the ram and why OCW (I think that is the company) sells for the new ram a "tool kit?" what does the tool kit do and do I really need one? it says this above the ram for the new MBP unibody that can hold 8gb of ram.

All this means is that the RAM sticks are packaged together in tandem so you can properly expand your computer's memory. So if you have 4GB of RAM already installed, it will give you two sticks of 2GB memory for a total of 8GB, rather than give you two sticks of 4GB.

Should I order the Snow Leopard right off or is this something I would want to wait?

By the time you order your Mac, it will probably come with Snow Leopard already installed. If there are still regular Leopard machines available, it would be up to you which OS you'd prefer. There are probably some small bugs in SL that you might want to wait for Apple to address later on, but then you'll have to pay the thirty bucks for the upgrade. Might as well get SL now if you'll need it eventually anyway. I would definitely get SL because even if there are some glitches, Apple will fix them in the near future via software update. They're usually good about addressing things like that quickly.

I read either at apple.com that in the stores or online or both that they will install all the apps I order, not just the one free install anymore.

True. All Macs come with iLife and other basic apps, but you can also have them install iWork and other app packages for an additional fee. They will also either guide you through the process of migrating your data or do it for you.

I have been using my friend's new MBP with Leopard (which I have not used yet)

First you say you're using your friend's Leopard machine, then you say you haven't used it yet. Which is it?

the "cinematography" of Leopard kind of bothered me.

Do you mean the look of the graphical interface? It is rather futuristic looking, but that's what most people like about it. Would you rather it look like the old boxy Windows 95 GUI or something?

I seem to always lose my airport connection at a hot spot or even at a friend's house using airport Extreme and once that happens it is like I have to just give everything time to rest before I can establish a connection again

This might be an issue with your friend's computer. I have no problems connecting to wireless signals with my MBP, though some people have said they think the aluminum casing interferes with wireless access. But keep in mind that wireless hot spots are not always consistent.

I am so glad I have not had to call applecare on this lately because they never know how to deal with it and I waste more time with them trying to figure something out

No offense, but I'm having a hard time really understanding you even after spending a few minutes reading and re-reading your questions. If your explanations are this incomprehensible on the phone, I doubt you're getting the best advice from AppleCare. AppleCare has always been able to help me or at least point me in the right direction, but then I'm pretty "computer-savvy" and can usually troubleshoot my own issues without ever having to call them.

I have that Missing Manual booklet coming and I hope it helps me if I am using Snow Leopard.

I don't think there is an edition of that book for Snow Leopard yet. I'm sure it can answer some basic Leopard questions, but you might want to return it and wait for an official Snow Leopard edition of the manual to be released.

I heard that I should be doing it with a disk installed or something like that. I guess it is a tool that I did not get with my MBP

There are some processes that can only be performed with the install DVD inserted before you reboot (and you must also hold down the "C" key at the same time). Install discs are machine-specific, meaning an install disc from a different Mac will not work on the one you're using. It must be the exact same disc that came with that specific disc, or it must be a new retail copy. You said you're using your friend's Mac, right? Just ask him for the installation DVD.

It's not so much the number of questions you have, but the way you're communicating them. Is English your primary language? If not, you might need to ask for help translating or something when you have your appointment at the Apple Store, or maybe there's a special extension at AppleCare for other languages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Oneironaut
That was a heavy read, must have been a ton to write it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gold Star for Oneironaut!;D

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And where's mine! :Shouting:

Here ya go...how's that!!!;P

gold-star.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Ok I deciphered one.

I need 6GB of ram. that is a fact and because I pix at the keys, explaining it will produce a bunch of typing with errors and then you might ask me to go elsewhere, s take it as fact, need at least 6 GB of ram.

Basically what he or she means is that they have their mind set on 6gb of ram and that he/she doesn't want to explain why because all it will produce is typing errors due to "pixing" at the keys and I guess that means "chicken pecking". Now does that make sense? I hope it does or now I'm going crazy.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, in a previous post, the people said ask away, we can handle it and that is why we are here for.

just thought you would be use to this kind of stuff but sorry about the mess-ups I made. I did not intend to cause you so much trouble. I guess all I can say rather then making a mean comment, like Crimson did, just leave it alone and go to one you want to help with. And pigoo3 for move-on if you feel your head is going to explode. That could be serious.

All of you guys, despite some mean and rude comments, deserve a gold star.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
heheh, thanks guys, it wasn't easy but I tried to address everything Kooler mentioned.

Kooler, in the future, just try to be a little clearer about what you're asking. I don't mind long posts and lots of questions, but your way of conveying them was not easy to understand.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand everyone's frustration...

I do appreciate people who go out of their way to help people. However, I would try to remember (especially the posts that aid nothing except a put-down) that you do not know the person's history who is on the other side.

Considering I sat in a bean bag all through high school and had to go back to community college to learn how to read, speak and write, I know how far I have come. I do not think people in general will post a question(s) just to **** people off.

I was in an accident close to my first day at high school and my brain was out on the road with m skull cracked. That is how it was described to me who were some of the first to reach the scene. I was in a deep coma for months, with my family debating to let me go or not.

On thee forums, I have tried on question at a time and I get; "no man, it is OK ask as many as you want, we can make things out of we want," to things like you said, to really rude comments to ones that seem to be able to peek through the LCD and know my situation.

So, what I have learned is to pass by the people who right away criticize and go to posts like yours, even know there was a lot of that too. I do try but at times (tired, ill, hungry, upset, etc.) my problems with spelling and articulating (grammar too-big time) come back. I am sure ou know how sometimes you can just not get in the right mind-set to be more patient at someone, for example.

So, anyway, if you do not care about other people's feelings, that is your choice, but from someone who deals with this kind of stuff when I can't even speak when I go in to buy a Coke, if you can try to be empathetic. I would guess that 90% of the people who are doing something the way you o not approve of are not doing it on purpose or might be even doing their bet for that time.

I usually do not even get into it in thee forums because they attract people who , for some reason, look for things to criticize. But there are a lot of good people who want to help others and those people find my post and have given me a lot of help. In the meantime I have learned to pass by the others real fast, almost without even thinking twice.

Peace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do appreciate people who go out of their way to help people. However, I would try to remember (especially the posts that aid nothing except a put-down) that you do not know the person's history who is on the other side.

Considering I sat in a bean bag all through high school and had to go back to community college to learn how to read, speak and write, I know how far I have come. I do not think people in general will post a question(s) just to **** people off.

I was in an accident close to my first day at high school and my brain was out on the road with m skull cracked. That is how it was described to me who were some of the first to reach the scene. I was in a deep coma for months, with my family debating to let me go or not.

On thee forums, I have tried on question at a time and I get; "no man, it is OK ask as many as you want, we can make things out of we want," to things like you said, to really rude comments to ones that seem to be able to peek through the LCD and know my situation.

So, what I have learned is to pass by the people who right away criticize and go to posts like yours, even know there was a lot of that too. I do try but at times (tired, ill, hungry, upset, etc.) my problems with spelling and articulating (grammar too-big time) come back. I am sure ou know how sometimes you can just not get in the right mind-set to be more patient at someone, for example.

So, anyway, if you do not care about other people's feelings, that is your choice, but from someone who deals with this kind of stuff when I can't even speak when I go in to buy a Coke, if you can try to be empathetic. I would guess that 90% of the people who are doing something the way you o not approve of are not doing it on purpose or might be even doing their bet for that time.

I usually do not even get into it in thee forums because they attract people who , for some reason, look for things to criticize. But there are a lot of good people who want to help others and those people find my post and have given me a lot of help. In the meantime I have learned to pass by the others real fast, almost without even thinking twice.

Peace.
Not sure what brought this on?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
your negative and unhelpful comment. I'll try to help you this way--if you see my post, skip it and go to another. I think you will understand that.

Peace

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.