sometimes see the network and connect automatically, sometimes not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz macbook, 2gb 10.4.11, 2.4ghz macbook pro 4gb 10.5.1
Ok, here's my situation. My Verizon router wifi has been acting up lately so i decided to use it only for 2 wired connections on the main floor (ps3 and desktop pc) I inherited a buffalo air station hoping that i could use that one for one wired computer and all the wireless stuff in the house and put that guy upstairs connected via cat5. This router serves 2 wired connections (ps3 and a gaming desktop)

I have hopes that disabling the verizon wifi, and using the buffalo's wifi will satisfy both requirements for wired/wireless networking around the house. The issue that i am running into is that the mac laptops will sometimes see the network and connect automatically, and sometimes it won't see it. The network's SSID is not broadcast and not encrypted (i know, and don't care. sue me:))

The most puzzling thing is that the buffalo router is at address 192.168.11.1 and i can't login to the router's page when i have internet on the laptop. I can, however log into the verizon one at 192.168.1.1. To recap, here's the topology as best as i can without knowing how to effectively use photoshop:

wifisetup.jpg

I am not getting good speeds either. it took me literally 5 minutes to upload that crappy picture to photobucket. I'm ten feet away from the wifi router, too.
Can someone help me out? School is starting and i need wifi in my house!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.