Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
I purchased but have not received it yet a book that was recommended to me called; "Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual." What does the release of Snow Leopard have on the info. in this book? I was really excited to finally know about the OS I use. Is this considered a "new OS" or just a new version?

any thoughts? should I return it and look for one that included Snow Leopard?

Is One-on-One the same as Personal Training? I think you can only get One-on-One when you firs purchase a new mac. For some reason I heard you can get Personal Trainng anytime.

It seems like the Apple Stores are doing les and less. I wanted a larger HD and more ram and faster HD but they would only do the ram upgrade. Curious why they are doing less than more. They always look packed when I drive by.

Peace

Thanks for any help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are going to Snow Leopard, return the book for a credit if possible an d sure there will be something available on SL. Like buying a Tiger OS X.4 guide for Leopard OXS X.5 ~ much of the information will be tops, but the manual for the precise system will be better.

Well on upgrading, did you buy from Apple directly or a reseller? Find an Apple reseller who have technical staff and have them upgrade. Machines would be sup[plied by Apple pretty much the same everywhere.

Maybe they did not want the hastle of cracking your machine, particularly if it is an iMac, Mac Mini or laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I purchased but have not received it yet a book that was recommended to me called; "Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual." What does the release of Snow Leopard have on the info. in this book? I was really excited to finally know about the OS I use. Is this considered a "new OS" or just a new version?

any thoughts? should I return it and look for one that included Snow Leopard?

I recieved the same advice and looked into the Leopard version of it and relizing SL was coming out i went down that avenue. Would love to know the in's and out's of the OS and would have so many advantages.

David Pogue is the Authour and he is the Tech writer for The New York Times and here is his take on SL
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/technology/personaltech/27pogue.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

Mac OS Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual
ISBN- 13 :9780596153281

I pre ordered a copy and being in Australia our distributors aren t receiving any until mid Sept and the book stores about 2 weeks after they receive them.

I got it for $75 AUD but from the reports i have it will be a good investment.
Google it and u get a lot of online distributors ...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to make sure I am understanding you...

I recieved the same advice and looked into the Leopard version of it and relizing SL was coming out i went down that avenue. Would love to know the in's and out's of the OS and would have so many advantages.

So you are much smarter than I am. I did not even think of that. Darn. Returning to Amazon is no fun.

David Pogue is the Authour and he is the Tech writer for The New York Times and here is his take on SL
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/technology/personaltech/27pogue.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

Mac OS Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual
ISBN- 13 :9780596153281

I pre ordered a copy and being in Australia our distributors aren t receiving any until mid Sept and the book stores about 2 weeks after they receive them.

I got it for $75 AUD but from the reports i have it will be a good investment.
Google it and u get a lot of online distributors ...

Just so I understand what you all are saying to this retarded wanna-be Mac user. I have only used Tiger and stopped at the last version. Leopard made me too nervous, just the "cinematography" and the major gloss applied to the LCD had me wondering if I can get past the "look." No, you are saying to return the Book on Leopard the Missing Manual or whatever it was and look for the one that is called Snow Leopard: the Missing Manual?

Why don't they just put a good Manual on a disk and stick it in the box when they install the OS?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why don't they just put a good Manual on a disk and stick it in the box when they install the OS?

Mainly because it would be so dry that you probably won't be able to read it for very long. The book that you are purchasing isn't written by Apple anyways.

Plus it nicer to have some of the more tech savy people do the research for you and then dumb it down for the less computer literate people.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually have not purchased the new one. I want to wait until I know SL wwill be installed and maybe a month or 2 after that.

I am trying to figure out why you asked where I purchased my notebook..just helps me understand your question.

Now to find the Missing SL Manual...
Thanks Mates

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I am trying to figure out why you asked where I purchased my notebook..just helps me understand your question.
The reason for this question was because you asked about.....

It seems like the Apple Stores are doing les and less. I wanted a larger HD and more ram and faster HD but they would only do the ram upgrade. Curious why they are doing less than more. They always look packed when I drive by.

Well to put it bluntly i wouldnt read a manual that extensive from a screen and i like the feel of paper and love to read books.
This is as a reference i would like to have beside the system im using not on it.

Plus it nicer to have some of the more tech savy people do the research for you and then dumb it down for the less computer literate people.

Agree whole heartedly. To have a un-bias opinion as David has as well is so refreshing and he does write some bloody good manuals...

Not into the "****** for Dummies"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
If you are not willing to wait for the release of the Snow Leopard manual, the regular Leopard volume would still be very useful. Snow Leopard will not have many new features, anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.