can't open the files from SanDisk memory stick

Reaction score
I just installed my new 24" IMAC today. First Mac ever. I had a few problems, but made it through okay. Before saying goodbye to my PC (may it not rest in peace), I copied all my files over to a SanDisk memory stick. However, it doesn't work on my Mac like it did on my PC. I can't figure out how to open the files. It happened automatically on my PC after giving my password. Anyone had this problem? I hope this is not a dumb question as I will most likely need help many times in the future. Thanks in advance.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It would help to tell us what kind of files you are trying to open.

OP
B
Reaction score
I am sorry, but the problem is that I can't get that far. With my PC, immediately after I inserted the memory stick, I was asked for my password. Then all files appeared. Photos, Word documents, Excel documents, video clips, etc. What happens with my Mac is I get three icons that mean nothing to me and when I open them, no files appear. The files I copied are all of the types I mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Seems like the security protection installed by the PC is unable to be read by the Mac. Today some memory sticks come with password protection set up and my answer was to get a PC to remove the protection then i could use the memory stick in my Mac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think Collin is right. All my memory sticks work perfectly on my many Windows machines and my Macs. They are all formatted FAT32. I also feel it's the password protection. Boot up that Windows system one last time and remove that, format FAT and copy your files over.

OP
B
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense. Kind of embarrassed I didn't think of it. You all are the greatest. Good thing I didn't put my PC out for trash pick-up today :).

Reaction score
Please dont put your old PC in the trash bin. Take it to a thrift store or give it away. There are others out there looking for parts etc. Take the drive out or nuke it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Relax MacSK. I was just kidding. I won't get rid of my PC till I know for certain that the new iMac and I are going to get along. When I do decide to chuck it, I will be environmentally responsible. Thanks for your suggestions though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you solve the Memory Stick issue? I take it you did when you thanked everyone but just wanted to be sure. Also, what did you do to get it working? Might help someone else later down the line.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes I did and thanks for asking. I put it on my PC and removed the password security. I was able to retrieve my Excel files and move them to Numbers just fine. Still haven't been able to move my Word files into Pages yet, but I will keep trying. I haven't tried the photos yet since I have yet to buy and install Photoshop. Thanks again for checking. So far I'm wondering why I waited so long to get a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.