Networking Leopard and Windows 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook c2d 2.0 4gb 13"
Hello everyone. I just registed and this looks like a place I will be visiting quite often!!

I am a brand new MacBook owner and I am thrilled so far but I have come to a roadblock and I have finally decided to give up and ask for help.

I have been a PC guy my whole life so I am still in the learning stages of the Mac OS. I have been searching, reading, crying, and cursing in an attempt to network my MacBook to my home network.

My desktop PC is connected directly to the routher via ethernet cable. The MacBook is connected wirelessly.

My PC is running Windows 7 64 bit

The MacBook is running version 10.5.8

I have read and tried dozens of methods to get these computers talking and I have had very little success.

The main reason that I want to network them is to used my printer, which is connected to my PC via USB.

Can someone please help me?? :Confused:

I can see the Mac from my PC when I go to my network places....but on the Mac I have yet to see any indication that it sees the PC.

I am more frustrated than Rush Limbaugh at an ACLU convention

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Does your PC have FTP built-in? Or at all? If it isn't appearing under "Shared" in Finder's sidebar, then it probably doesn't. I'm also not entirely sure that Windows can share printers. I've never tried.

Also, make sure Printer Sharing is turned on in System Preferences > Sharing. That might make it easier.

Lastly, you can also hook up your printer to your router, I believe, and the MacBook can see it. I'm not sure about the PC.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
As for the Mac seeing the PC, you will want to make sure the Mac and the PC are part of the same workgroup. I am not sure what the default workgroup name is in Windows 7, in older versions it used to be 'WORKGROUP'.

In the Mac, you will need to go to

SystemPreferences -> Network-><Interface>->Advanced

(for you, Interface would be your ethernet connection)

Once you open the Advanced window, you will see a tab called WINS. In this tab you will see a WORKGROUP option, enter in the name of the WORKGROUP mentioned above. Close everything and save. Give it a bit, and your PC should show up in the SHARED section of the FINDER. Also, you will want to make sure you have this view enabled in the Finder. To do this go to

Finder->Preferences and click the Shared->Connected Servers check box.

One thing, you may want to temporarily disable any firewall you have on Windows just to make sure you can get the two seeing each other before turning any security measures you have back on.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook c2d 2.0 4gb 13"
Thanks for the reply

I have done everything to the letter that you said and still nothing.

I am connected wirelessly by the way... does that make a difference?

If I click on Go, and then on Network, is that where I would see my PC?

Sorry for the dumb questions... If this were PC to PC then I would be considered a smart guy.. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hmmm, strange. The interface type, wireless or wired shouldn't make a difference.

I asked before, but to be sure all firewall/security measures are disabled on the PC correct? This is the one thing I have found that causes issues with this sort of thing.

Also, on the PC, do you have any folders shared? As a test can you go to the Finder and hit Command Key+K or from the menu. This will bring up a Connect to Server window where you can type:

smb://windows-pc-ipaddress

Let's give that a whirl and just see if we can't get basic connectivity working.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook c2d 2.0 4gb 13"
Ok....

Thanks so much.

I have made progress

I can now see my PC in the shared section of Finder

I entered "smb://192.168.1.xx" and it finally took me to a login, which allowed me to browse my PC hard drive

THANKS THANKS THANKS

Now I just need to figure out how to print

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, now that they are seeing each other, you should be able to go to

SystemPreferences-Print&Fax

You will be presented with a window to add a new printer. The far right selection 'Windows' should present you with a multi-paned window with the workgroup you entered on the left.

Your printer should show up here.

I believe you actually have to enable 'share printer' in Windows to do this. It's been years since I have attempted anything like this, but there are probably folks on the forum that do this all the time.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook c2d 2.0 4gb 13"
Hooray! I just printed something!

Although everytime I try to print something, I have to go to the print queu and click on resume and then enter my password.... The status is "on hold (authentication required)" until I do so....

is this normal, or is there a way to make it auto authenticate?

And by the way I really appreciate your help, reps to you!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, this is where I get a bit out of my depth in terms of Windows print sharing :-( I would imagine you may have to change the permissions on the printer in Windows to allow anyone to print, especially if your username/pw are not the same between OSX and Win7.

Again, this is a best guess I haven't really done what you are doing in a long time.

Hopefully someone else with a bit more experience will chime in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.