Facebook application

Reaction score
Hey so I have a 2nd Generation 16gb Ipod Touch (Version 2.2.1) and I deleted my Facebook application (Free application) then I wanted to redownload it from the Application Store. So I tapped "Install" and typed in my iTunes password then a pop-up occured on my Ipod Touch. It said "This application requires the iPhone 3.0 software Update" and it does NOT allow me to download it.

Is there a way to get it back, and I dont like the facebook website (when you type in facebook in safari's URL) one? How do I get software 3.0 for the Ipod Touch? Do I seriously have to pay $9.95 just because and I am redownloading a FREE application?

Thanks!

PS-I have the Facebook Application on my computer on iTunes under the Applications section from when I first downloaded the application. Is it possible to somehow drag or get that Facebook application and drop in my Ipod Touch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I believe that the new version is only 3.0 compatible. If you want 3.0 you have to pay the $9.95 to get it.

If it is still in your application library in iTunes it should sync back to the touch. Make sure to check that all applicaions are syncing under the application tab in iTunes.

OP
F
Reaction score
I tried that, the Facebook application on in my iTunes library also has been updated...now when I right click on the Facebook application on iTunes and click "Get Info" it says version 3.01.

I mean seriously, the application says its FREE but now I need to pay $9.95 for a FREE application? ***? Isn't that tricking the customers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I tried that, the Facebook application on in my iTunes library also has been updated...now when I right click on the Facebook application on iTunes and click "Get Info" it says version 3.01.

I mean seriously, the application says its FREE but now I need to pay $9.95 for a FREE application? ***? Isn't that tricking the customers?

OK, delete the new one from iTunes and then choose "Add to library" from the menu, and browse to the location where you have the old application. (You said you had this, right?) That will bring the old one back into iTunes and on resync it will be back. on the touch.

I guess they must be assuming that everyone has version 3.0, which is wrong but the $9.95 fee for the update has not been a secret. Also, the developers are going to develop apps for the current release. There are other free apps that require 3.0.

OP
F
Reaction score
I DO NOT have the old Facebook application anywhere (Did I say I had the old application? I dont know.), my iTunes auto updated the application.

I dont know I just think its kind of lame how Apple makes you pay $9.95 for a update on a FREE application, I mean I deleted the old one now I cant even get it back...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I DO NOT have the old Facebook application anywhere (Did I say I had the old application? I dont know.), my iTunes auto updated the application.

I dont know I just think its kind of lame how Apple makes you pay $9.95 for a update on a FREE application, I mean I deleted the old one now I cant even get it back...

I thought that you did above, I may have read it wrong. Do you have Time Machine running? Did you already empty the trash? The old apps will go to the trash.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apple isn't making you pay $10 for a free application - that doesn't make any sense.

As technology advances, certain programs need certain software on which to run. The new FB app requires 3.0 and if you don't want to pay for 3.0, you don't get the FB app. This is whats called technological innovation and it wouldn't exist if people didn't fund it. You're going to start really hating the App Store when more and more starts to depend on 3.0. You will eventually have to upgrade; this is the price of wanting newer things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Plus, you're not being forced to upgrade, you still have the option of viewing Facebook via Safari. It's not like you can't view Facebook at all without paying the $10 upgrade fee.

Reaction score
Scam

Apple isn't making you pay $10 for a free application - that doesn't make any sense.

As technology advances, certain programs need certain software on which to run. The new FB app requires 3.0 and if you don't want to pay for 3.0, you don't get the FB app. This is whats called technological innovation and it wouldn't exist if people didn't fund it. You're going to start really hating the App Store when more and more starts to depend on 3.0. You will eventually have to upgrade; this is the price of wanting newer things.

No, the app store needs to provide the backwards compatible versions to! When I paid for an application that with an update all of sudden doesn't work then this is called a scam. And I expect better from a company like Apple. It shouldn't be that hard to provide 2 version of the same app so it matches the underlying OS.

And when you pay 400$ for a device you expect that bugfixes, patches and upgrades are included in the price

But what do I have to say about it ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.