Airport Express w/ Router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I have a Linksys 4-port router (Not wireless). My friend is selling his AirPort Express for super cheap.

Question.
Instead of going out and buying a wireless router can I just buy the AirPort Express from my friend and plug it into my Linksys router and have wireless access? Is anyone here on this forum doing this or have tried this before?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Airport Express is a wireless router. You won't need the Linksys.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, unless you need the wired access points the Linksys provides.
In which case, yes, you should be able to plug it into your Linksys.

I use a Time Capsule plugged into a D-Link router.

Plus if it's a friend, get him to bring it over and plug it in to check it out.

OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I still want to use the wired ports from the Linksys. I barely ever use wireless internet but would like the option of using it in the kitchen once in a while. Being able to easily disconnect the wireless part by just unplugging the AirPort Express from the Linksys router would be a huge plus.

My friend lives on the other side of the country. Can't just have him come over and try it out. :) With shipping I would be paying under $25 for it. I was just hoping someone here has tried it or is currently using this set-up.

Guess for $25 I'm not really taking a huge risk, guess I'll have him send it over.

Thanks for the input guys.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You would not unplug the Airport Express from the modem/router if you want to access the internet. It will need to remain connected. It provides a wireless network that will allow your computer that has a wireless card in it to access the net without it being wired.

OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
A little confusion going on here.

I have my cable modem connected to my wired router. Wired router connected to my MBP. I prefer using wired over wireless and I usually don't need to roam around the house with my MBP.

The reason I'm asking about the Airport Express into the wired router is because I've had some guests come over with their notebooks and having wireless internet would be more convenient. Plus, bringing my notebook to the kitchen while streaming something on the internet would be nice as well.

Since I would be using my wireless connection for maybe 1 hour a month I want an easy and cheap way to disconnect my wireless option and only have my wired connection active.

That is why I want to buy my friend's Airport Express because it is cheap (since I won't be using wireless internet for more than an hour a month) and just disconnecting the Airport Express from the wired router is easy as 1,2,3.

Hope that clears things up.

PS. just re-read my post. This was a waste of a post. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.