Best way to incease web traffic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4 Ram, 320 GB
My kid has this web sit about skate boarding & street wear, what he calls a "lifestyle" site. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here but would like to get suggestions on how to improve and increase traffic to the site? TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
My kid has this web sit about skate boarding & street wear, what he calls a "lifestyle" site. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here but would like to get suggestions on how to improve and increase traffic to the site? TIA

Word of mouth, SEO, paid advertising, swapping links with similar websites.

Reaction score
Join a web ring. Its a group of sites that are all linked together. Do a search to find a web ring related to your topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Join a web ring. Its a group of sites that are all linked together. Do a search to find a web ring related to your topic.

People still do that?

Reaction score
People still do that?

Its in the list of how to publicize your web page. Along with Newsgroups, Mailing list, Search Tools.Etc. Heck I dont know,sounded good. :eek: All them key hack sites link to each other. Maybe skate boarders do too.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Much like Eric said. You can also link to yourself on forums you participate in. I do that, I can tell it works too! The stats and logs show for it. I always put a link to my site(s) in signatures or link my signature images. Word of mouth and SEO really is the key though. Write interesting content that appeals to others and the traffic will start trickling in.

Reaction score
Word of mouth, SEO, paid advertising, swapping links with similar websites.

Agreed...

Paid advertising can become expensive if your not careful & setting up campaigns can also be frustrating if never done before.

Like someone said before, find blogs, forums & webrings that are into the same things your son is, its one of the best ways to get your site noticed for free... There is also free sites out there that will let you post your link for free without having to do anything...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
but keep in mind that if you want traffic the site actually has to offer something interesting, so you should keep it updated .... if it's just a bunch of images then why would people bother going there in the first place :)

OP
culater88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4 Ram, 320 GB
Thanks for all the interesting recommendations. I'll will definitely look into all of them. Thanks again.

Reaction score
the best way 2 give traffic is..
1. directory submission
2. social bookmarking
3. article submision
4. press release
5. link bating
6. forum posting
7. squido lense

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
the best way 2 give traffic is..
1. directory submission
2. social bookmarking
3. article submision
4. press release
5. link bating
6. forum posting
7. squido lense

I would argue that link baiting and forum posting are a good way to get your site blacklisted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody (Jan 09)
Register with as many forums as you can and spam the heck out of them with your links.

Kidding, of course. Any kind of overspamming will give your site a bad image. However, if you find a couple forums with a similar theme, you can put a link in your signature, and maybe make a post in their community board.

Reaction score
Other than Google my best sources would be social networking sites, links on other blogs, and repeat visits from regular readers through viral widgets. Stress more on clear navigation, all of your navigation should be clear as to what page it is describing. And add recommend this site or tell a friend script on your site, so that if somebody find your web site interesting they can share it without leaving your site

Reaction score
Web rings can be very bad.

Just code your page to be Accessible and W3C compliant, that includes:
1. NO IMAGE LINKS - Should links should ALL be text
2. No tables
3. Use h1, h2, h3, h4 correctly
4. Make sure your content has keywords! NO KEYWORD STUFFING
5. Pagename and Page Title Should have the same keyword. (title can have more words, just make sure the keyword is in there)
6. NO inline JavaScript - attach all js functions via: getElementsById('id');
7. NO inline CSS
8. If you use flash, MAKE SURE you dynamically call the flash into a "no flash content" div that is populated with content. I like to use swfObject.

When you are done; your page should look (style) like craigslist. Then you can start using css for all your styling, like sprites for your links:
Code:
a.someButtonName {
    display:block;
    padding:0;
    text-indent:-9999px;
    background: transparent url(../../images/btn-name.gif) no-repeat 0px 0px;
    height:25px;
    width:167px;
}
After all that. Then list your page on the Open Directory Project (dmoz) ODP - Open Directory Project That is what Tier 1 and 2 search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing) actually use this to search for sites. When you list your site with google, you are only listing it with google and will not be found on yahoo. But feel free to list it with google and other Tier1 search engines. As getting listed on the dmoz could take a month or 2.

Reaction score
On a side note: Research your keyword wisely. Then pick a domain name with your main keyword. This and my other post was for an organic search SEO. And it's free! This is what Tier 1 search engines like and want.

The other way would be SEM (Search Engine Marketing); that's another monster in itself. This involves getting a keyword listing from ComScore, bidding on keyword for paid search. Very effective, but very expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
buy traffic off ebay. really good value for money. I got 10000 unique visitors for 2.50. much cheaper than seo although seo is definately worth doing.

Reaction score
buy traffic off ebay. really good value for money. I got 10000 unique visitors for 2.50. much cheaper than seo although seo is definately worth doing.

Granted that will work for certain things, but its not targeted traffic so its almost a waste of time & money (Although thats cheap) IMO...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.