Antivirus and Spyware removal

M

möbius

Does anyone know what the equivalent of spybot or adaware for mac os x would be? Also, I am looking for a decent antivirus program for mac os x.

Any suggestions?

OP
J

Jefe3223

This: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16287&highlight=virus
for the virus question; but to sum it up, there's generally no reason for a virus software. Virex comes with the mac care (.mac?) program, I like it. It's a big discussion on whether one is better than the other or whether it's worth it. If you're just a normal user, don't worry about it.

There's no spyware for mac right now, so there's no reason for a adaware equivalent...that's why i've never heard of one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Don't worry about it, you might want to use a virus checker IF you are connected to a Windows box just to protect Windows or use Windows Office that may pick up Word/Excel Macro viruses but otherwise no need.
I don't need or use any MS software. NeoOffice/J is my Office suite and there's Apple's iWork too.
As virus checkers are only as good as the last update and there aren't any viruses for MacOSX why waste $$.
Have fun with your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
virus and mac dont belong in a sentance

unless its macs dont get viruses

OP
S

Subzero3886

thats not true... there are Mac viruses, Mobius Norton Antivirus for Mac is respectable

OP
M

meltbanana314

Subzero3886 said:
thats not true... there are Mac viruses, Mobius Norton Antivirus for Mac is respectable

Not exactly true. The last viruses that targeted Mac computers are so old they wouldn't effect OS X.

You don't need antivirus for an OS X machine (yet.)

Reaction score
The only thing the Anti-Spyware application on my PC ever catches as adware/spyware are 'tracking cookies'. The same cookies are present on my Mac. Is there any application to go clean those out besides just clearing out everything?

OP
M

meltbanana314

mynameis said:
The only thing the Anti-Spyware application on my PC ever catches as adware/spyware are 'tracking cookies'. The same cookies are present on my Mac. Is there any application to go clean those out besides just clearing out everything?

What browser do you use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I run Virex 7.5.1 that you get for free with .Mac. It was free so I figured why not :)

OP
M

möbius

ave Camino (or Firefox on WinXP/*nix) set to ask permission everytime a website requires a cookie, and I blocked those tracking cookies (like ads.doubleclick.net, for example) the first day of browsing and it never asks me again.

I did the same thing on my camino (an excellent browser btw). It just gets a bit cumbersome at first, but I am so used to it, I don't really care. It still amazes me how many cookies some sites try to put on your machine, malicious or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.