Graphics card upgrade for G4 Mirror door that supports OpenGL

Reaction score
I need to know what graphics card to buy and where I can get a faster one that will support the OpenGL in FCP Studio. My system specs follow:

Machine Name: Power Mac G4
Machine Model: PowerMac3,6
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz

I have a new MACBook Pro but I like to use both machines and some of my plug ins won't work and the machine is sluggish. I heard the Radeon X800XT was good but I can not find one.

Reaction score
X800XT is a bit overkill for that machine, unless you can find a cheap one. Radeon 9800 PRO or 9600XT would be suitable options. G4 machines use AGP4x so in order to run 9600XT, 9800 PRO or X800XT you need to doa "tape mod" which will force those cards to 4X mode.

I don't recommend X800XT for that machine, Mac Editions will be quite expensive. I would probably get a PC 9800PRO and flash it with Mac bios. 9600-series are tought to flash succesfully.

Well, it's your choice. I bet you can google "supported graphics cards FSC Studio" + whatever version u have to see which graphcis cards work best with your version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.