Couple of G4 questions

S

stugotz006

Hey everyone. I have one of the very first G4s made, the 350mhz model (PCI, I think) I got it in 1999 for graduation.

1.) It only has a CD reader, no burner.
When shopping for an internal one, I only find SCSI/IDE connectivity, which I don't think will work. Will it? The back of them look different than the drive in my machine. Am I missing something here? Do I have to spring for an external?

2.) As for upgrading my RAM, will any typoe of SDRAM work? In the manual it calls for PC100, unbuffered, 168 pin, “no more than 16 memory modules.” How important is the last part?

Any good links would be much appreciated. Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am mainly just a graphics guy with limited hardware knowledge. Thanks in advance!

-Stu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
I cant really comment here as I am new to Macs.

I think however, you may need to use the same RAM that it calls for. Someone else may be able to help out in detail here.

IMO, no question is dumb. Just some comments are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Macs can at times be a bit "picky" with RAM, so I would highly recommend that you purchase memory that completely meets Apple's stated requirements for your system. I personally only by my memory from sellers that test and guarantee 100% compatibility, so I can be certain it won't cause any problems in my machine.

OP
S

stugotz006

Thanks. What confuses me the most is what kind of G4 I really have. I found photos of the backs of the PCI and AGP machines, so I'll compare them when I get home (to the cpu in question) Of course the CD drive connects via IDE “ribbon” or whatever, but the back of mine is totally different than ones I see on tigerdirect for example. I will also take pics and post them tonight. Maybe you guys will know more from them.

-Stu

OP
S

stugotz006

Dude, thanks so much, that's a great link! I definitely have the PCI unit. I just ordered 2 sticks of 256 RAM for a total of $92 shipped. Now on to the optical drive. The DVD±RW drive in that link is a great price, but can I burn music CDs to play in the car and stuff?

-Stu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
definitely....MP3 CDs if your deck can play it ;)

OP
S

stugotz006

Upon more careful reading of the features, it does mention CD-RW :)

I found a much cheaper LG CD-RW burner that I think I'll go with, but they don't say if it supports MAC compatible software, like Toast. It has ATAPI connectivity, which is what I need instead of IDE. Here's the link: http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=FG&item=65076
I emailed LG. Let's see how long it takes for a response.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

-Stu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
stugotz006 said:
Upon more careful reading of the features, it does mention CD-RW :)

I found a much cheaper LG CD-RW burner that I think I'll go with, but they don't say if it supports MAC compatible software, like Toast. It has ATAPI connectivity, which is what I need instead of IDE. Here's the link: http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=FG&item=65076
I emailed LG. Let's see how long it takes for a response.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

-Stu
You could check the drive compatibility database on www.xlr8yourmac.com. If there is no listing and you get the LG drive to work you could post a review so others can benefit from your experience.

good luck

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A Little late but this might help in the future!

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58418

I have a Yikes PCI G4 here. Those 256 Meg Simms you ordered should work fine. What will not work is 512 Meg Simms or some of the newer 256 Meg High Density RAM. Most of it has very few chips on one side. I have tried a few of those that will not work.

I have done a lot with that system, so if you have any more questions down the line just ask. I use it as a Server now on the Mac side of things.

It's been a very reliable machine.

OP
S

Subzero3886

I'd say you upgrade your machine stu... I just bet that you computer might not beable to perform many Ram aquiring programs and VRAM

OP
S

stugotz006

Update: My RAM worked fine (640 megs now.) I got Panther from MacMall and I love it! It is very sluggish though. Can I really benefit from a Sonnet Processor upgrade? I am thinking going up to 800mhz will be a night and day difference.

I ordered a LiteOn internal burner from MacMall, and when I got it, it wan't compatible!
Everything hooked up and went in correctly, but my machine just never recognized it.
I called tech support at MacMall and they said that absolutely NO LitOn products are Mac compatible. This got me pretty pissed, since the website listed this one, and most all the other LitOns as PC&Mac. I let them know about it and they said they will make correctons to the site. We'll see :/

I finally ordered an external CD-RW / DVD ROM directly from Iomega. I KNOW this will work, because it ships with Mac software (CharisMac Discribe.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
stugotz006 said:
Update: My RAM worked fine (640 megs now.) I got Panther from MacMall and I love it! It is very sluggish though. Can I really benefit from a Sonnet Processor upgrade? I am thinking going up to 800mhz will be a night and day difference.

You will definitely see a difference, but if you are willing to spend the $300 on an upgrade card, you may want to consider just getting a Mini. I know this sounds like a generic reply..."Just get a new computer"...but you would really see a bigger benefit, IMO.

OP
S

stugotz006

The fact that the Mini isn't very expandable makes me nervous. I feel like I am going to become a computer junkie now or something! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
stugotz006 said:

I ordered a LiteOn internal burner from MacMall, and when I got it, it wan't compatible!
Everything hooked up and went in correctly, but my machine just never recognized it.
I called tech support at MacMall and they said that absolutely NO LitOn products are Mac compatible. This got me pretty pissed, since the website listed this one, and most all the other LitOns as PC&Mac. I let them know about it and they said they will make correctons to the site. We'll see :/

I finally ordered an external CD-RW / DVD ROM directly from Iomega. I KNOW this will work, because it ships with Mac software (CharisMac Discribe.)

Some LiteOns will work fine in Macs. I have one of the few that does not work properly. It works as a CDDrive but not in any of the I-Apps like IDVD ETC. Other LiteOns work just fine though. Go with something that for sure comes with Mac software or that is on a list of approved drives.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
dtravis7 said:
Some LiteOns will work fine in Macs. I have one of the few that does not work properly. It works as a CDDrive but not in any of the I-Apps like IDVD ETC. Other LiteOns work just fine though. Go with something that for sure comes with Mac software or that is on a list of approved drives.

Try getting a copy of patchburn. From what I have read here and other places, you should be able to use your burner with your iApps.

OP
S

stugotz006

Update: I now have an external Iomega and it doesn't work with Apple software :(
Patchburn 3.1 didn't solve anyhthing either, but someone said I should try repairing permisisons. I will try that when I get home today. I think I will just return it and get a firewire LaCie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.