Pico and nano do not behave over ssh, bug in scrolling

Reaction score
I try to ssh from a mac 10.4.11 to Ubuntu Server 8.04. I open a large file with either pico or nano. The file is displayed. When I hold down the down arrow key, the cursor starts to go down, but it hits the bottom of the window and everything messes up. Instead of all the text moving up and new text appearing at the bottom, the text that would appear at the bottom just appears right over the text that was there. So, the new text mixes with the old text making the file almost impossible to edit. I can reach the bottom of the file and just start typing stuff, and I see that it does save correctly when I less the file: the stuff I typed shows up at the end of the file. Just the editor is miss behaving.

I tried using putty from a windows machine, and pico worked fine (Except just afterwords I got BSOD, and now it won't boot. haha... *sigh*). Also, vi scrolls correctly. This makes me think the problem is on my mac and not on the other end of the server. But, I haven't had this trouble before. I have another Ubuntu Server I run, and the same problem happens. I ssh to a Solaris server, and this problem does not happen.

Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.