Using Macbook HDD in an external enclosure

Reaction score
I am upgrading the HDD in my '07 Macbook. Will I be able to put the old drive in an external enclosure like this one, and then copy my data back over to a new Leopard installation on the new HDD?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, that will work. Best software in my opinion to copy back the contents of your old hard drive to the new one is Carbon Copy Cloner.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yep, no problem. I did exactly the same thing; since I was upgrading from Tiger to Leopard I bought a new drive and an enclosure like that one, installed the new disk, put the old drive into the enclosure, installed Leopard nice and clean, then hooked up the external. Copied all my files over to the internal drive and kept the OS on the external for awhile until it was clear that I was good with Leopard and wouldn't need to swap the drive back for any reason.

Eventually deleted Tiger and now have a nice external drive for stuff I don't need to take with me.

Would have done something similar with the Snow Leopard upgrade, but decided that since SL frees up space and I would need to buy some other stuff to support this (parallels requires an update to 4.0, so had to shell out $$s for that, plus I treated myself to a new external bluetooth keyboard while I was at the store) I opted for upgrade in place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.