DDR3 RAM for Mac Pro: OCZ series pros & cons

Reaction score
I have searched, but could not find an answer to the following. I have a brand-new 8-core Mac Pro. The Apple store installed 4 x 2GB DDR3 RAM and I would like to add another 4 x 2GB. It probably doesn't matter which manufacturer I choose if the spec is the same, however, to minimize the chance of any problems I thought I would go with an OEM. I heard that OCZ is one of two OEMs for Apple (the other being Samsung?). RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com gave me some basic recommendations (their scanning tool didn’t work last night), but it doesn't state the manufacturer. OCZ Technology | Welcome! lists 10 different types of DDR3 RAM (Flex XLC series, Reaper series, Platinum series, etc.) Can anyone please enlighten me which of these series will work with the Mac Pro and what the pros and.cons are if there are multiple choices. Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have searched, but could not find an answer to the following. I have a brand-new 8-core Mac Pro. The Apple store installed 4 x 2GB DDR3 RAM and I would like to add another 4 x 2GB. It probably doesn't matter which manufacturer I choose if the spec is the same, however, to minimize the chance of any problems I thought I would go with an OEM. I heard that OCZ is one of two OEMs for Apple (the other being Samsung?). RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com gave me some basic recommendations (their scanning tool didn’t work last night), but it doesn't state the manufacturer. OCZ Technology | Welcome! lists 10 different types of DDR3 RAM (Flex XLC series, Reaper series, Platinum series, etc.) Can anyone please enlighten me which of these series will work with the Mac Pro and what the pros and.cons are if there are multiple choices. Thank you.

Just get your ram from these guys, and you will be good to go:

2GB DDR3 ECC PC8500 1066MHz SDRAM ECC Non... (8566D3ECC2GB) at OWC

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.