• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

whats going next??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
was talkin to a friend the other day about the elimination of floppy drives by apple back when and we were wondering what would go next?

i was thinking that within the next few years maybe 56k modems would be the next to be removed from computers. faster connections will have to come down in price a little bit more, but i think it could be a possibility.

what you guys/gals think is going to be the next thing to go?
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I'd agree the 56k modem should go, or a faster should be made the standard, besides that, I'm not sure anything else will go out very soon except other small storage media, like zip disks, I'd say everything under 500mb will go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Parallel Ports.....PC desktops still come with them but they will be gone pretty soon I think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
I concur on the Parrele ports...they're a soon to be extinct species (soon being relative of course...I give em at least 2-4 more years to hang on in the PC world). I don't know about the modems though...I think some people fail to realize that there are still HUGE swaths of countryside in the US that have ZERO attractive options to dialup. 56k is absolutely worthless in most of these places anyway...they're lucky to dial up at anything over 21.6K...they'd die and go to heaven if they could get anywhere approaching 56K speed. I think analog modems will be around for quite a while to come...unless there is a major telecommunications breakthrough and/or the government finally steps in and makes the telcos own up to the responsibility to improve service for the rural areas of the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
modems will be around until cable/DSL modems come with a phone-modem built in, or ISPs provide modem/phone server. many businesses use fax machines, and direct fax from computers.

D

Desolate One

In the PC world they still have yet to drop legacy devices, so I think the PC world will see the next "evolution" as it were in that respect. As for Apples? Perhaps a switch from Combo to Superdrives as the standard removable media drive? More and more people these days are collecting large media files, and short of having an external HDD to back it all up you'd be SOL. The CD-R/W just can't cut it with it's space limitations these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I dont think the 56K modems will go because of faxes.

T

TheExecutive

Although I expect pc's to keep 56k's for a long time. I would not be surprised if Apple cut them. Most mac users use broadband anyways. Making the Superdrive standard would be nice, also.
But my prediction is that Apple will cut the 56k modem. And anyone else who wants one will just have to buy an external just like floppy drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
In the next 5 years, I expect VGA and analog modems to go away for good. (VGA is only supported via adaptors on many Apples now, as it is.)

Laptops will drop ethernet ports, since it's so much easier to use AirPort and not be tied down. Desktops will continue to use ethernet, because it's cheaper and much faster.

Bluetooth will get faster, and USB ports may disappear within the next 10 years.

Optical audio will become more popular, and optical FireWire (yes, there is such a thing) and optical networking will appear.

In short...analog gone in 5 years, copper cable gone in 15.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
Just fyi, the modems have been removed from the mac laptops now. I think this is a great idea, b/c they have a tiny USB modem that can be attached now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
speed4tu said:
Just fyi, the modems have been removed from the mac laptops now. I think this is a great idea, b/c they have a tiny USB modem that can be attached now.
true. I think something that may go is firewire, there have been small rumors and signs pointing to this. Something that should also go is the "cd rom drive", all macs should come with superdrives, cd rom is almost useless.

Reaction score
My girlfriend is the only person I know with a 56k modem still and it honestly makes me fall out of my chair laughing....remembering what it was like back then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
this.. is a really old..thread..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree on the CDROM as most OS Disks on the Mac anyway are DVD's. I don't agree on Firewire though. Not for a long time I hope. Just because they took Firewire from the Ipods is not a sign of it's going away. The iPods really do not benefit from Firewire. Notice the Mac Pro has even more Firewire ports. It's FIRST RATE when external hard drives and other devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Apple won't/can't drop Firewire, because most consumer digital camcorders still use it. And what's the point of iMovie if you can't use your own video material with it?

I think the next thing to go will be the one of the USB ports, in favour of wireless USB, followed by the optical drive altogether (but not for another 5-10 years at least).

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
iWonder said:
this.. is a really old..thread..

lol yes it is, and i created it a long time ago!

wireless usb???? im not sure if i follow that

but i definately agree with the keeping of firewire, the standardization of the superdrive and stuff
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
coach_z said:
lol yes it is, and i created it a long time ago!

wireless usb???? im not sure if i follow that

but i definately agree with the keeping of firewire, the standardization of the superdrive and stuff
-chris
Wireless USB is a new standard being developed, it is similar to bluetooth, but should be almost as fast as USB 2.0.

So imagine not having to plug in your iPod in anymore, you can just wirelessly sync.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
The power plug, all we will need to do is shake our computers and the battery will last for 10 hours :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Benjamindaines said:
The power plug, all we will need to do is shake our computers and the battery will last for 10 hours :p

ha i love that idea.. reminds me of that flashlight :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Actually, there are already some Wireless Power Charging devices for battery powered gadgets out there. I suppose it might eventually be made to work for bigger stuff too...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.