iPhone 3GS - 5 3G Bars, but no access to data - Help!?

Reaction score
Hey all,

First post here and I've looked elsewhere to see if others are having the same issues that myself and a few friends have been experiencing, here in Reno, NV. I haven't had too much luck.

Basically, my phone reports 5 3G bars (full service). I can make calls and send/receive text messages. However, there are times that I cannot connect to any website, send/receive email, or use any app that connects to the web (Facebook, weather apps, etc.). Often times the only solution to regaining connectivity is rebooting the phone or disabling/re-enabling 3G. Other times, out of frustration, locking the phone and coming back to it some time later also resolves the issue. This is occurring 5+ times a day.

I've tried all the usual troubleshooting tips to no avail. I'm curious, is anyone else having this same issue and is it a phone or network problem? Numerous of my other friends have had the same exact issue, but not as frequent as myself. Although, I suspect I simply use my phone more than they do.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, or opinions!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.