Why not an eMac???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
I am a recent total convert to Mac. I bought an iMac G5 and loved it so much I ditched my notebook and bought a 12" powerbook to go along with it. I have a question though. I would like my wife to also start using Macs. Right now she has an HP desktop and I would like to get her a Mac immediately. She really only uses her computer for web browsing, chatting, storing pictures, and some occasional video editing. Would an eMac be an appropriate choice for her? She doesn't need anything too powerful and the eMac seems to be a good fit for her. What do you all think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I'd second that or a Mac mini - but the eMac comes with a monitor built in ;)

Reaction score
id go for the mac mini. just because you can get a good monitor later on. and upgrade monitors. then you dont have to use a crappy 17" crt. its better getitng a 1.42 GHz mac mini with an LCD than getting a 1.25GHz eMac for 100-150$ less.

just what i think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the emac wont be a bad idea...but you could always pick up a mini for the same price if you use her old keyboard and mouse and find an lcd for cheap somewhere (wait for a sale or soemthing) or use her monitor if it is decent

-chris

F

FishStickBoy

Both the emac and the mini are great computers. But the emac is a little bit faster, because of the hardrive, but I don't care for the built in CRT monitor. And the mini can be dificult to upgrade (ram, hardrive) but is much smaller and gives you more options for monitors, keyboards and mouse.

But for the price you can't complain about either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
If you decide to get an emac though...why don't you wait just a bit and see if they really do update them a bit soon like several websites have been speculating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I love my eMac,
Comparing it to the mini the eMac as 3 USB (mini 2) 2 Firewire (mini 1) Video out (NA) Audio In (NA). I also prefer the eMac's tray loading CD/DVD.
It's smaller than my old 17" CRT Windows display too.
just my $0.02s :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The eMac is a nice complete package, but I'd also prefer a nice LCD monitor over a CRT anyday...

I think she'd also appreciate it more as it'll feel more 'modern' and she won't feel as though she's getting a second rate computer AND a new and strange OS all at once...

M

mangoSharingan

If she still wants to continue using her HP desktop, you could always get a KVM switch to share your monitor, keyboard and mouse if you decide to go for the Mac Mini. I would probably do that since it's so small and will save a lot of space. Plus it looks cute too!

W

warrenbert

I think the future of emacs is dead. CRTs just aren't in demand anymore and they use a lot more power than an LCD. 17" LCDs can be found for as little as $200.

Why must she switch? If she's happy with a PC, let her be. Most Mac users have at least one PC around the house too. They can live in the same household, plus it gives you versatility should you need some software or hardware compatibility down the road.

Computing should be practical, not religious. Save your money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I got a 17" LCD from Circuit City for $150 last x-mas. It was on sale, and I haggled on pricce some, but its a LiquidVideo or something like that (I'm not at home right now), the sales guy said they are made by like Samsung or something for Circuit City, and are just put under the LiquidVideo name. Its really a nice screen, and has been a great buy for me. A mac mini with say give $200 for a 17" monitor could be a good buy.

OP
donnation25
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
Thanks for all of the help you guys. The real reason I want to get her a mac is because she loves mine so much and she would love to have one too. I think I might just get her another iMac G5 17". She really likes mine and I would love to see the look on her face if she came home and saw it set up on her desk. Thanks again, this forum is awesome and you all are awesome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.