Is it worth to upgrade to snow leopard with 4gb RAM?

Reaction score
Can anyone explain me how does the addressing modes of memory RAM work?
And if, with my 4gb RAM, Leopard OS , is my computer able to use every bit of it?
I've heard that it can only address more or less 3 Gb ram. Is that true? Do I need the 64 bit OS ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And if, with my 4gb RAM, Leopard OS , is my computer able to use every bit of it?
I've heard that it can only address more or less 3 Gb ram. Is that true? Do I need the 64 bit OS ?

Irregardless of your ram questions...YES...it is worth upgrading to Snow Leopard.

If you need further convincing read this:

Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience

Apple recommends a minimum of 1 gig of ram...so 4 gig (or 3 gig if that's what your computer recognizes)...is plenty.

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
Re

I have not made myself clear.
I believe the snow leopard is better and more sophisticated than leopard.
My question is about the RAM memory matters. I'm not certain if a computer with a 32bit OS can recognize 4 gb of ram. If it can't, I may consider the upgrade to snow leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL

32 bit OS can only recognize a maximum of 3 gigs. so yes it is true. 64 bit can recognize a maximum of 16 billion gigs.

Yes you want to upgrade.

I believe if you are running leo 10.5.or later you are using all of your 4 gigs. so no worries there. Mac OsX is already 64 bit capable, snow leopard is just more capable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have not made myself clear.
I believe the snow leopard is better and more sophisticated than leopard.
My question is about the RAM memory matters. I'm not certain if a computer with a 32bit OS can recognize 4 gb of ram. If it can't, I may consider the upgrade to snow leopard.

And the answer is, it depends.... On your hardware, not only the OS. Please search these forums as there have been numerous discussions regarding this very issue.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Leopard is 64-bit?

Reaction score
is there a minimum requirement for Snow leopard to work fine? Like with Vista the minimum was 2GB..is it the same for this one?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Leopard is 64-bit?
Part of it. Apple's approach to 64-bit has been to introduce it slowly through the releases. If I'm not mistaken, Apple started with Tiger (ie. part of Tiger was 64-bit). For SL, Apple has continued to extend 64-bit support but this time, that includes the kernel.

is there a minimum requirement for Snow leopard to work fine? Like with Vista the minimum was 2GB..is it the same for this one?
According to Apple, you need 1GB.

OP
Z
Reaction score
32 bit OS can only recognize a maximum of 3 gigs. so yes it is true. 64 bit can recognize a maximum of 16 billion gigs.

Yes you want to upgrade.

I believe if you are running leo 10.5.or later you are using all of your 4 gigs. so no worries there. Mac OsX is already 64 bit capable, snow leopard is just more capable.

Can you please explain me how the RAM addressing works? Cause I don't quite understand why is that 2^32 numbers can address only 3 Gbytes. When , in fact, 2^32 bytes are 4 Gbytes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL
Can you please explain me how the RAM addressing works? Cause I don't quite understand why is that 2^32 numbers can address only 3 Gbytes. When , in fact, 2^32 bytes are 4 Gbytes.

Honestly, i can not.

I only made those statements because i have read and heard them in so many other places (i.e. Mac Life, PC Mag, Mac World, CPU, etc.)

I trust that they are facts due to the abundance of their existance.

Unfortunately I do not have the technical answer, I assume it is due to some limitation with the math or the OS or a combination of both that prevents this.

wish i could tell you more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Here is one of the better explanations I've seen:

Why are the MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" models limited to 3 GB of memory? If I install dual 2 GB modules, why won't I be able to use 4 GB of RAM? @ EveryMac.com

The MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo presumably uses Intel's 945PM chipset, which can physically handle 4 GB of DDR2 RAM. However, a number of items must be stored in physical RAM space, and when RAM reaches 4 GB, there is some overlap.
In other words, in a 3 GB RAM configuration, there is no overlap with the memory ranges required for certain system functions. Between 3 GB and 4 GB, however, system memory attempts to occupy space that is already assigned to these functions. For instance, the PCI Express RAM allocation occurs at somewhere around 3.5 GB of RAM and requires 256 MB of RAM. Thus, the virtual space between 3.5 GB of RAM and 3.75 GB of RAM is occupied by PCI Express data. So in a system with 3 GB of RAM, nothing is being wasted because the memory space required by PCI Express is still between 3.5 and 3.75 GB, and the installed system RAM does not violate this space.
The net result is that at least 3 GB of RAM should be fully accessible, while when 4 GB of RAM installed, ~700 MB of of the RAM is overlapping critical system functions, making it non-addressable by the system.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.