Open CL and snow leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL
some questions or thoughts.

So now that Open CL is supported in 10.6, how does it work exactly?

for instance. the MBP comes with two video GPUs. will the unused GPU become dedicated to processing?

will it be hindered by the video bus?

is there a seperate video bus for each GPU?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apple - Mac OS X - New technologies in Snow Leopard - That would be a good start.

From what I understand and can glean from things I've read, it will be a while before we start seeing OpenCL optimized apps (much like some of the other tech in SL such as GCD). As I know it, OpenCL uses the graphics card to supplement the processing power of the CPU. Note though that not all GPUs are supported by OpenCL.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SL
i did come across that article a while back. but it lacks specifics.

so you're saying that it will be up to the developers and their development of apps that utilize Open CL to decided how it uses the GPUs available.

I wonder where that line is...between third part development and implementation by Apple.

anyhow still curious to know how many video buses there are in the the dual GPU macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.