I bought a tv show via iTunes and want to watch it on my tv not my 13 inch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Hi I bought a TV show via Itunes which is in the m4v format.
However I would like to watch the tv show via my dvd player.

How can I burn this to a dvd? Is it even possible? I belive my dvd player does have divix if that helps.

Also how can I hook up my mac directly to my tv screen? Is it possible?

Thanks so much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you cannot burn that TV show to disk, since it is copy protected

you can connect the mac up to the TV, but we will need to know the model of mac and year, as well as what inputs the TV has

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
The only way to watch it on the TV is through an Apple device. Whether it be your Macbook, Apple TV, or via an iPod Classic. All 3 connect in different ways, so it depends on your choice, but in my opinion the iPod classic is the easiest with a 3.5mm to rca audio/video plug. I got mine from an actual Apple Store years ago, but can't seem to find any in the online store right now. A simple google search should help if you choose to go that route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
If you have an S-Video port, I believe most TVs do, so you can buy an S-Video cord. However, I don't think the Intel Macs have S-video. Mine doesn't. :(

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
HI, Ok i have the new aluminum body mac book and I have attached photos of my TV. I did go to one store and they had some small cable, like 3 inches and cost about $30 and seemed to have to connect to another cable. I am hoping to go a different route and did not understand that and they didn't speak English well enough to explain it (and I don't speak Thai .. my fault)

P9081054.jpg

P9081056.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You will need two cables. One for video and one for audio.

You'll need a Mini-Display to HDMI cable going from the Macbook's Mini-Display port to one of the HDMI ports on the back of the TV. Then you'll need a stereo audio cable going from the Macbook's headphone jack to the red and white (right and left) DVI In sockets. Make sure you select the correct inputs from your TV's menu and you'll be good to go.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The product at that first link is a mini display port ADAPTER. You need the actual cord as well.

Here is a link to everything you'll need, and it's only $26.99 for the whole thing if you can order it from Amazon. If not, print this out and bring it to the store so you can show them what you need:

Amazon.com: Apple Macbook / Macbook Pro / Macbook Air / iMac Mini Display Port (DisplayPort) to DVI Adapter w/ 6 Foot Male to Male Dvi to HDMI Cable, and a Auxiliary (AUX) 3.5mm to 3.5mm 6 Foot Cable: Everything Else

The smaller end of the short white adapter goes into the Mini-Display port on your Macbook. The wide flat DVI end of the black DVI-to-HDMI cable plugs into the wide flat part of the white adapter. Then the smaller end of the black cable goes into the HDMI port on the back of your TV.

Video and audio are not carried together in the same wire. So there is a skinny cord that has two plugs at each end that look like the plug on a pair of headphones. One end goes into the headphone jack on the Macbook, the other goes into the Audio input on your TV.

Actually, you could also get an RCA cable like this one

Amazon.com: Stereo 1/8" (3.5mm) Male to 2 RCA Male Audio Cable iPod Compatible (6 FT.): Everything Else

Then you can plug the red and white (left and right) plugs into the red and white audio inputs labelled "DVI In (HDMI 2)" on your TV.

In short, it goes like this

Macbook>Mini-Display adapter>DVI to HDMI cable>TV
then,
Macbook>Audio cable>TV

So actually, all together you need three things: the adapter, the video cable and the audio cable.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Photos!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The RCA Cable is so so much cheaper. What is the advantage of the RCA over the DVI to HDMI?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, if you want to order, monoprice will be the cheapest place to get them.

You will need one of these, the first 4 cables listed in the length you want to get the video signal to your TV and it will plug into the HDMI 2 port. These have the adapter and cable built into one.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

You will also need an RCA cable as shown in oneironaut's link to get the sound on your TV. At monoprice.com, it will be called a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable as these:

Audio Cables - RCA / 3.5mm

Note: monoprice is the only place you can get that video cable that I am aware of. Any where else, you will need two pieces for video: the adapter; mini-displayport to DVI and the cable; dvi to hdmi.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Photos!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The RCA Cable is so so much cheaper. What is the advantage of the RCA over the DVI to HDMI?

A vast difference in display quality.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Oh thank you everyone!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Expat girl, the RCA cable is for AUDIO ONLY.

You still need the DVI-to-HDMI cable and the adapter for the VIDEO signal (or just a mini-display to HDMI cable). Note: HDMI cables do carry audio that will come out through your TV speakers. You'd only need an RCA audio cable if you want all the audio from your computer to come through a speaker system, like if you want to listen to iTunes through a stereo receiver or if you want to listen to movies in Surround Sound.

You do have an RCA jack on your TV for audio and video together, but I don't think there is that kind of cable that also connects to a Mini-Display port. RCA is really old technology and Mini display/DVI/HDMI is very new. (Also, you already have something plugged into your A/V RCA jack, so not only would the quality be worse, you'd also have to keep plugging and unplugging whatever you felt like using.)

There is no picture in the link that bobtomay provided, but it's basically the same mini display cable set I described, just with the HDMI end already on it so you wouldn't need the DVI adapter.

Bascially, if you go to an electronics store, just tell them you need a mini-display to HDMI connection whether it's one cable or some other kind of mini-display cable with an appropriate adapter. You also have a regular VGA computer monitor jack in your TV (labeled "PC") if you need to settle for a mini-display to VGA cable. Then tell them you need an RCA audio cable that can plug into a regular headphone jack on one end (if you want all your computer's audio to come through a speaker system that is.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And just for your own benefit, you might want to familiarize yourself with some of the basic kinds of TV/computer monitor connections.

Most computers up until recently used VGA connections. Almost all standard PC's have used them with their monitors, and they only carry video. They're kind of oblong, like this:

1119917797.600.jpg

A DVI cable also only carries video, is wider and flatter, has three rows of prongs and a slightly longer flat prong, like this:

dvi-cable-pic.jpg

HDMI is one of the newest video technologies and carries audio as well as video. Its connection is smaller and flatter than either VGA or DVI, and it looks like this:

hdmi_000.jpg

Mini-display is a VERY new technology that has been on all new Macbooks, so often to plug into a VGA, DVI or HDMI monitor or TV, you need an adapter for those kinds of cables.

You can see on the back of your TV that you have one VGA connection, two HDMI connections, and no DVI connections. (The VGA is labeled "PC" because most PC monitors have been VGA.) So you know that one end of any cable you use must be either VGA or HDMI.

Reaction score
I am trying to hook my MAC up to my TV via VGA connection. I am getting video. The audio is not working. I have hooked up a RCA cable into the pc/HDMI port, i also tried using a monster cord to hook up sound from my headphone port to the Red and White....still no sound. any suggestions?? i double checked my settings on my TV input and everything should be working, but it's not

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you are using the VGA port on the TV, you must use the audio port associated with the VGA port, not the one with the single PC/HDMI port.

Reaction score
I am trying to hook my MAC up to my TV via VGA connection. I am getting video. The audio is not working. I have hooked up a RCA cable into the pc/HDMI port, i also tried using a monster cord to hook up sound from my headphone port to the Red and White....still no sound. any suggestions?? i double checked my settings on my TV input and everything should be working, but it's not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Bobtomay is correct. Have you tried increasing the volume on your MacBook ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.