I bought a tv show via iTunes and want to watch it on my tv not my 13 inch

Reaction score
i've tried plugging the red and white into every port and it's not working. i also tried the RCA. any other suggestions?
default.aspx

this is what i'm working with

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Then you have proven it it not your Mac at fault. That leaves the cable or your tv. Check again that you have the mini stereo to RCA cable plugged into the audio side of what ever input the VGA is on the tv. Note that some tv's do not have an audio input that coinsides with VGA as it was just intended as a monitor input. If this turns out to be the case with your set then if you have a stereo reciever or AVR then you can patch the audio thru that.
Hope this helps

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Great I think I got it. I want the HDMI as it is the only way to get video and sound and the latest technology. The other end has to fit in my mac or into an adapater that fits in my mac.

Oh those photos really helped and I feel LIke I learned so much! Can't wait to sort this all out. Ill see if I can get the cables locally.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Great I think I got it. I want the HDMI as it is the only way to get video and sound and the latest technology. The other end has to fit in my mac or into an adapater that fits in my mac.

Oh those photos really helped and I feel LIke I learned so much! Can't wait to sort this all out. Ill see if I can get the cables locally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Just understand that your Mac will not output audio and video thru hdmi. Only video as the Mac does not support HDMI natively. So you will still need to patch audio to your tv or reciever.

Reaction score
you cannot burn that TV show to disk, since it is copy protected

you can connect the mac up to the TV, but we will need to know the model of mac and year, as well as what inputs the TV has

Okay, I made a video screen capture of my own tutorial I made myself...not from a copyrighted movie. My original intention was to make a my own podcast, but I wanted to share it with family and friends and burn to a dvd using IdVD. How do i put a quicktime x .mov file onto a dvd using Idvd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Dang, Clayneal, I didn't even realize that!

Sorry, Expatgirl, looks like you'll need to get an RCA audio cable after all!

And whatever minidisplay cable you get will fit into the Macbook because that's where the minidisplay port is. It's the OTHER end that goes into the TV that might need an adapter. If the minidisplay cable has a DVI plug on the other end, you'll need a DVI-to-HDMI adapter that snaps onto it in order to fit into the HDMI port on your TV. Hopefully though you can find a minidisplay-to-HDMI cable so that you won't need an adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Alittlecurious, you should probably start your own thread since yours is a very different question than the original poster's. This is about getting a Macbook to display video on an external monitor or TV.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Oneironaut,
Thank you so much for your help!!!! I learned so much from you and of course the other posters too!
I went in to the IT store and knew exactly what I wanted and bought the adapter and then the HDMI to HDMI cable. Now I just have to get the sound. (When I bought it I went from work and thought I may have an RCA cable laying around the house).

So so far I got the picture on my big screen! What is the small wire for that seems to have to headphone ends?

also Oneironaut when I get back to imovie and try again to make a movie I will get back to you as you have been so helpful there too, however i just got tired to trying to make my project..... I still get frustrated with the mac and just don't have time to read my Missing Manuel, tutorials etc... slowly slowly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RCA cables are pretty common, so it wouldn't surprise me if you had one lying around

The jack in the back of your TV that looks like a headphone jack is probably matched up to the VGA (or PC) connection. I think you want the red and white kind that goes into the DVI In (HDMI 2) jacks.

As for iMovie, did you check out the step-by-step video tutorials on the Apple site? Try here:

Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.

Anyway, glad I could be of help! Let me know if you want me to make any more YouTube tutorials for you. I love making them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I went in to the IT store and knew exactly what I wanted and bought the adapter and then the HDMI to HDMI cable. Now I just have to get the sound.
Hi there expatgirl. I have my elegato eyeTV running through my MacBook to a separate TV monitor and the easiest way i have been able to get sound is to run it out of the earphone jack. I have posted to another thread about a solution to this. The way i do it, i get true 5.1 surround sound for everything that you would get out of the internal speakers. Have a look at this THREAD. If that is what you are looking for, i hope it helps. Sorry bout the quality of photo was taken quickly on a cheap mobile.

Cheers

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
The sound works now too!!!!! Yipee!!! I (the boyfriend) had it in the wrong HDMI area. I re-looked at this thread and re-plugged it in. ActuallY I used the cable for a camera to put the video on TV. (IT was yellow and black) but it did the trick!! So great!!
Thanks everyone! (and I think the BF was impressed too that I did it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The sound works now too!!!!! Yipee!!!

Thanks everyone! (and I think the BF was impressed too that I did it).

HAHA well done and cooties to you.
Better still, you have one up on the BF .... Good on ya

Cheers

Reaction score
another happy camper...Well done people!!;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.