iMac 24" Alum - Question Re: Removing Glass Panel To Clean Interior Side

Reaction score
I purchased my 24" Alum. iMac about 5 months ago directly from Apple. I hadn't noticed the problem previously as it requires sunlight to be shining on the screen to notice it. What I saw is what looks like vapor or water marks and a smudge on the interior side of the glass which covers the LCD panel. Without the sunlight hitting the screen you would never notice the problem. So, I don't consider it critical to my daily use of the computer. But, wanted to address it if I could without inviting complications.

So here is the question: Is it advisable and procedural to remove the glass and clean it - which I feel confident I can do having opened and installed ports and hardware on previous computers) - and which I presume Apple service would do to address the problem? Or am I opening a can of worms by doing this? It does seem like a very simple and direct procedure, but I don't want to find myself facing a larger problem by doing so. Feedback from those who have had a similar experience and/or removed the glass for cleaning would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your input.

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
I had to change a hard drive in a Mac last week - it all begins by taking of the glass. Use a suction cup to lift it off and you should have no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Is it advisable and procedural to remove the glass and clean it

It most certainly isn't advisable.
To be quite frank about it, I'm not sure why the thought even crossed your mind.

If your computer is only 5 months old, then it is still covered under warranty.
If you really feel that there is a smudge or problem with the screen, then take it in to an Apple Certified Repair Center/Apple Store and let them have a look.

Whether you feel up to the task or not isn't the question.
If you do remove it and damage it it any way, shape or form you will have nullified your warranty.

Just take it in.

OP
fullrun
Reaction score
It most certainly isn't advisable.
To be quite frank about it, I'm not sure why the thought even crossed your mind.

If your computer is only 5 months old, then it is still covered under warranty.
If you really feel that there is a smudge or problem with the screen, then take it in to an Apple Certified Repair Center/Apple Store and let them have a look.

Whether you feel up to the task or not isn't the question.
If you do remove it and damage it it any way, shape or form you will have nullified your warranty.

Just take it in.

I appreciate the input... and the reason that the approach had crossed my mind were twofold: I had seen posts and videos where other iMac users had addressed this very problem. The other is that I live in a NYC and it would be a hassle to pack up the iMac and bring it in for services - if it was an issue that I thought I could easily be addressed by me and an issue that was not out of the ordinary in terms of iMac maintenance.

Reaction score
this is really easy to do. you need a few suction cups and the screen simply lifts off. just be careful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It's dead easy, and you don't need suction cups. If you do have suction cups, they need to be decently large to hold onto the glass. I've changed my HDD twice in my 24in iMac. The second time I didn't have access to large suction cups, so I used duct tape.

Make 2 loops large enough to slide your hands into. and use extra tape to hold the loops onto the glass, and just pull straight off. If you have good tape, and it's held on, the glass with just pop right out.

OP
fullrun
Reaction score
Thanks everyone... I contacted Apple... still under warranty... A repair service is going to handle the replacement of the glass...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.