CD-RW problems please help?!

P

picklefish

My CD-RW on my G4 has stopped reading any disks.The propblem started with just one of my log ins not being able to read music cds but now it looks like it cant read anything. it doesnt even give me an error message just spits the disk out after a little while! Anybody have any idea how i can find out if its a software problem or the drive itself?

OP
S

Steel02001

Have it tried it with different types of disks, IE CD-R, CD-RW, DVD see what that does. This would give you a better idea, if it can read nothing I would say its probably a drive problem. The real question will soon become, is it still under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Have you tried different audio cds? also, how long have you had it, it may just need to be cleaned.

OP
P

picklefish

yes diffrerent audio cds, data and ones made of cheese (ok none were made of cheese) cleaned? as like when you clean a cd player we a funny cd cleaning disk? would it not give an error message if it was dirty? will try the cleaning thing first. if it is software thing where is that software and how do i fix. i have run a disk repair already. oh and it was reading data fine till this morning then kind off crashed out of photoshop and has now stopped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what firmware version is your drive using, are there available updates?

OP
P

picklefish

4.4.8 and computer says no updates avalible!
It now wont burn cds but will still read dvds any minute now i think i might cry!

OP
S

Steel02001

1. Dont cry, it will be ok

2. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88275 this might not be your exact computer but its hints and tips cant hurt.

3. Cleaning it is a good idea. Best buy or even wally world sells CD drive cleaners. It is a disk with little cleaner things on it, it has instructions, very easy and worth the few bucks.

4. Still dont cry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.