How To Get "Stacked" Again?

Reaction score
New to Mac...somehow I cleared out the download and document stacks in the dock. I've tried bringing docs down to the dock to restart a stack, but must have done something simple wrong.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Found a solution:

Launch TERMINAL (finder-applications-utilities) and enter the following commands:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Then hit "enter"...

killall Dock

Then hit "enter"...

All better, not sure what I did wrong to delete them...maybe I dragged the stack to the desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, welcome to the forums.

You should be able to do this using the approach you outlined above. Are you sure that you moving the folders to the far right part of the dock? There is a separator bar that splits applications on the dock, and the stacks portion. It's faint, but it's a small dotted line. If you drag a folder to this section it should become a stack automatically.

Note, sometimes you have to pause and wait for the dock to accept the stack, especially if there are already folders in the stack section. Just hold the folder and hover over it for a bit and the dock should allow you to drop the folder into the section.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes I dragged documents to the right of the divider...but they would go poof and not show up. There must be some setting I activated which the reset (above) set back to default?

The secret might be the brief pause I did not perform.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Note, sometimes you have to pause and wait for the dock to accept the stack, especially if there are already folders in the stack section. Just hold the folder and hover over it for a bit and the dock should allow you to drop the folder into the section.

You beat me to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.