• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Texting while driving

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I do it all the time. I'm not a stupid teenager, I don't speed and I drive a gas guzzling SUV (not a Mini going 75). That's a nice scare flick for the kiddies though.

That being said, it's still not a good thing to do...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
i see people doing this all the time!

I tried it off road (on a way down from a telecom site) and I was all over the place LOL!

Now, talking whilst driving is totally different IMO - especially if your on a highway, but hey ** its still illegal...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I don't do it but then I do sometimes grab my iPhone to call someone (bluetooth enabled car) or to play some music through my stereo. Probably just as bad as my attention is drawn well off the road ahead of me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well it's illegal here, and you get a nice big fine and 6 points on your licence if caught. Plus, if I catch you you'll get a punch in the head too.
Downright dangerous and unnecessary.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Aye illegal in SoCal as well. I see lots of people that still are on their phones and texting while driving too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
Yeah, I'm not one who texts on my phone. I only take calls if it's from a family member, and I use speaker phone so that I still have both hands on the wheel. It is dangerous either way though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Some of the surrounding cities where I live are in the process of trying to make it illegal. I believe it should be illegal! SOOOOOOO DANGEROUS!!!

This reminds me of a device I wished I could invent that you attach to your dash and it would pick up the signal of any nearby offending device and disable it for 24 hrs. You could turn it off if you needed to make a phone call while parked or something like that.
Honestly, 5 years ago when I thought of this my original intent was to "zap" the user with a voltage they would soon not forget, but it was pointed out to me that would be as dangerous if not more dangerous than talking or texting. So I've revised my ideas and who knows, maybe one of you geniuses can make it a reality. Just don't forget me in your acceptance speech for the inventor of the year award. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
I do it all the time. I'm not a stupid teenager, I don't speed and I drive a gas guzzling SUV (not a Mini going 75). That's a nice scare flick for the kiddies though.

That being said, it's still not a good thing to do...

You say that like its something to be proud of.

Even if you don't care about your life what about the lives of other users of the road?

Texting while driving has been shown to be worse than drinking and driving when it comes to road safety.

Is a text really worth some-ones life?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
One thing I've learned, you'll never convince someone that they simply can't multi-task as well as they think they can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I'm too young to drive, but... I would ask a passenger to text for me if I'm driving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
IMO, everything in a car could cause that if you don't pay attention to the road though.

Playing with the radio (loading a CD for example), adjusting the HVAC, programming your sat nav etc. They could all have the same result even if you are spending less time with them....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I see it all the time but it's totally against the law here where I live. I have come close to being killed now maybe 5-10x being hit in a crosswalk walking with the WALK signal by someone with a cell texting and not looking and going right through the RED light and missing me by 1' in one case.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
One thing I've learned, you'll never convince someone that they simply can't multi-task as well as they think they can.

Except there is no such thing as multi tasking when it comes to people. They think they are but they aren't. Studies show that if you are trying to multi task the quality and concentration isn't there.

I see it all the time but it's totally against the law here where I live. I have come close to being killed now maybe 5-10x being hit in a crosswalk walking with the WALK signal by someone with a cell texting and not looking and going right through the RED light and missing me by 1' in one case.

I've also had a near death experience with people that were on their phones and not paying attention. I was walking on the street and they were on their phone ready to turn. I had to like yell at them to get their attention.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just wish people would DRIVE while they're supposed to be DRIVING and pretend like it actually matters how well they do it. Can you imagine how many lives would be saved if people actually paid as much attention to their driving as they do watching TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You say that like its something to be proud of.

Even if you don't care about your life what about the lives of other users of the road?

Texting while driving has been shown to be worse than drinking and driving when it comes to road safety.

Is a text really worth some-ones life?

In a way, I guess I am.

I don't feel it's any more unsafe than searching for a radio station (no, I don't have steering wheel controls and it must be done manually), but that is my POV. I don't do it going 85 on the freeway and I don't do it in traffic.

That being said, I'm willing to pay the fine if I get caught, so I'm not worried much about it. Don't make it sound so dramatic, the odds of killing someone are fairly slim and, to be frank, I'm willing to risk it.

So the next time you see a dude in a big SUV texting next to you on the road, it might be me. Be careful I might hit you just for fun...;) (That was a joke btw...)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just wish people would DRIVE while they're supposed to be DRIVING and pretend like it actually matters how well they do it. Can you imagine how many lives would be saved if people actually paid as much attention to their driving as they do watching TV?

How about those people that eat, drink, brush their hair, look in the mirror too much, and the women that put on their make up while driving?

Technically you shouldn't be talking to anyone, and not listen to music while you drive either.

Watching TV is different than anything else, because some people are just hypnotized by it and are like zombies. It's actually a disorder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Soon to be illegal in Minnesota, if it's not already. Not sure whether we already passed it or soon will. A very preventable cause of accidents, and basically negligent homicide in my opinion. You choose to do it, and then you wind up killing someone else's loved one? I think I'd have to follow John Gotti's example in that general type of situation. Did they ever find any pieces of the guy who hit and killed his kid?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How about those people that eat, drink, brush their hair, look in the mirror too much, and the women that put on their make up while driving?

Technically you shouldn't be talking to anyone, and not listen to music while you drive either.

Watching TV is different than anything else, because some people are just hypnotized by it and are like zombies. It's actually a disorder.

Bad example I guess, but it's amazing to me what people choose to focus on and what they feel is best left on the back burner.

Obviously some things are more distracting than others...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.