Won't connect to wireless networks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
My MBP has Windows XP on it and has been running perfectly until a few days ago. I can connect to wireless networks I had it connected to until this issue came up but now after the issue has come up no new connections can be found. (EX: The wireless connection at my house works fine but at my friends or relatives house it says wireless networks available and when I click to connect to a network it says none are available.) I can use ethernet cord to use the internet but I can't connect to them wirelessly only my network at my house. Mac OS X connects to networks just fine wirelessly or corded but for Windows XP I have to use a cord if it's not my wireless network at home. Any help is appreciated and would greatly relieve my frustration from not being able to fix this as I usually can fix any small issue like this. I have tried doing a restore to a couple of days before I noticed the issue come up but that did not work. Please help, thanks.

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bump. Somebody please reply to this any little information will help. I have also tried installing the Apple drivers from the OS X cd again to no success. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this: When at your friends home or somewhere else (where there are wireless networks present), right click on the small wireless icon which should be in your system (notification) tray. Holding your mouse over that icon will display something to the effect "Network Connection #".

Select show all available wireless networks. Highlight a network and click connect. If the network you click on is password protected, it will ask you for the password.

What is probably happening now - is your XP wireless connection is trying to connect to your home network which is the default. It will do that even when you're away from home unless you change it. Vista and Windows 7 make it easier to connect to any network.

Regards.

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. However, my issue is that when I select to "View wireless networks" the screen pops up and the list is empty and says to make sure my wireless card is turned on. It evens does this when at home while connected to my wireless network. I don't know why it doesn't want to show me any wireless networks. Please keep suggestions coming. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.