File associations - I give up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 14", M2 Pro, 32GB RAM
OK - how does one change default file associations for Quicktime in SL? Can't for the life of me figure it out and searches here and on the Apple site turn up nothing.

.wmv files try to open in Windows Media Player...it's now the default app in the "Open with" menu. I can set individual files to always open in QT, but how do I set that as a global preference?

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Right-click the file, select "Open With...."
Select "Other", choose the app you want to use then tick the "Always Open With" box.

That should set a global default for that file type/app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
Select "Other", choose the app you want to use then tick the "Always Open With" box.

I was using that option on Snow Leopard yesterday, but that for some reason only set the file type association for that individual file, not every file of that type. As I was taught on these forums, right click a file and select "Get Info...". Expand the "Open With" section, select the app and click "Change all..."

That appears to have done it for me. ;D

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That only sets it for each individual file. There is a menu that pops up on a right-click and "Open With", listing WMP (Default) and QT. This menu reflects the WMP global default and does not change, regardless of what settings I fiddle with. There is no "Change All" option.

Any other ideas?

Tom

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Option 1.
Right click and select 'Get Info' on any wmv file

Then in the Open With section select QuickTime Player.app
If that file already has QuickTime selected, change it to something else - any other option and then change it back to QuickTime.
Then click on the 'Change All...' button.

20090831-gqxs8yx1tapmr8mtwe1xje1mpr.jpg

Option 2.
Right click and select 'Open With' > 'Other'
In that window scroll until you find QuickTime Player.app and select it
Then place a checkmark in 'Always Open With'

20090831-8fn9pfkciqetd6xku1jujwu8jy.jpg

And if you can't do it now, there's no help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
OR as suggested, highlight a file... hit command I - select "open with" - and then check th ebox that says "always open files of this type with..." or something similar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That only sets it for each individual file. There is a menu that pops up on a right-click and "Open With", listing WMP (Default) and QT. This menu reflects the WMP global default and does not change, regardless of what settings I fiddle with. There is no "Change All" option.

Any other ideas?

Tom

You clearly didn't read the instructions carefully enough. Nobody is telling you to select "Open With" from the right click menu, they're telling you to click on "Get Info" and then look for "Open With."

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You clearly didn't read the instructions carefully enough. Nobody is telling you to select "Open With" from the right click menu
Uh...I read just fine, and tell me again what the following reply didn't say...?

My point was that no matter what I did, the default setting indicated through a right-click, open with, was always WMP... Bobtomay's procedure worked - thank you for that.

Tom

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Uh...I read just fine, and tell me again what the following reply didn't say...?

Tom

I know what it did say - and suggest you might look at it again...

Uh...Sorry, but No, you didn't read just fine 'this' time. You stopped short in following mrplow's directions. After the "Open With" he also said to select "Other". There is no difference between his directions and the Option 2 listed in my post. Following mrplows directions would have solved it.

And Nimraynn's method is what is pictured in my Option 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.