Where is my website address?

J

Jordan

Hello all,

I just made a simple website and put it in my "sites" directory and labelled it index.html. Then, I went to the sharing directory under the preferences panel and turned web sharing on. It is my understanding that I should be able to see the address where my website can be found on the web.

All I get though, is this: http://localhost/~Jordan/

Could this be a result of my landlord and his overly protective port blocking on the router? Or am I just missing something?

I really need to get my website on the net so I can sublet my apartment. Hey, anyone interested in taking over my flat in Bonn, Germany May 1st?

Cheers,

jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
you have to forward port 80 to your local IP from the router. then your address will be your external IP (you can find here)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
argh...i've run into a lot of problems using wordpress. now that ive finally managed to do everything theyve asked of me i just cant put it on the net. what is localhost.local? how do you forward to port 80?!

OP
M

Merlinblack

However if his landlord (like he said in his post) is over protecting the ports chances are he:
a) won't be able to get into the router interface to forward
b) won't be able to get his landlord to forward for him

Just my 2 cents, you're going to need access to the router and the ports to be able to hit your webpage from the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Merlinblack said:
However if his landlord (like he said in his post) is over protecting the ports chances are he:
a) won't be able to get into the router interface to forward
b) won't be able to get his landlord to forward for him

Just my 2 cents, you're going to need access to the router and the ports to be able to hit your webpage from the internet.
Well, hopefully he found a solution by now...seeing that the OP posted this almost 6 months ago ;) :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
Alright...how do you open port 80?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
go to the site i posted above and it gives instructions for all router brands

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.