Making Desktop Archives with Automator

Reaction score
As the title implies, I'm looking for a way to make a desktop archive every week. I want to write/make a workflow that will:

A. Run every week (doable with applescript, don't worry about this part.)

B. Ask me what items on my Desktop I don't want to archive.
(optional - automatically not archive hard drive/disk images)

C. Create a folder called "Desktop Archive (current date)

D. Move everything except for the items I said I didn't want to archive into the folder.

Thanks. If this isn't the right forum for this, let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Kind of like a cleanup mechanism? To keep it nice and tidy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well in any case I figured it out. Just put in these actions:
1. Ask for Finder Items.
2. Move Finder Items (this will move selected items to another folder - they won't be archived)
3. Create Archive (make sure you select "Desktop")

OP
S
Reaction score
I noticed that the "Ask for Finder Items" thing will ask what things you want to select. I was looking for a way to select everything EXCEPT those things, but if that's more difficult, this will work fine. Also - How would I make the folder name include the current date? I want it to create the folder, then move everything into it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can name the folder whatever you want. So you could create one that says "8/30/09 Desktop Not Archived".

Alternatively, you can have it ask you for items to select, move it to a folder, then archive that folder. It will work either way. Now, if I could figure out how to have it delete everything on my desktop when it's done, it would be a handy tool to clean things up every now and then.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, I want this program to run once every week, and to automatically create and name a folder with the current date. Is that possible?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.