window popped up saying "cannot run file in DOS mode"

Reaction score
I am a new MacBook user and i just purchased a college algebra book that came with a CD-Rom for the course. I Followed the directions in loading the disc and it said to click Setup. so i clicked Setup.exe and a window popped up saying "cannot run file in DOS mode" I do not know what this means besides the fact it will not let me download the program, however i really need it. There are no refunds if opened, therefore if there is anyone who can help me resolve this i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You need Windows 9X,XP, Vista, or 7 to run exe files. You can do that through Parallel or VM fusion if you want to do it through a virtual machine. You can also do it via Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Like I said in your PM, that's probably a Microsoft Windows installation disc.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You need a copy of the Windows Operating System to run files with the ".exe" extension.

If you want to run it on your MacBook you also need a copy of Parallel or VM fusion plus a copy of Windows.

OP
P
Reaction score
I am currently downloading the VMware-Fusion 2.0.5-173382.dmg that is what is downloading. I am doing the free 30 Day trail for that because Parallel you need to purchase. How do i get a copy of the windows operating system

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am currently downloading the VMware-Fusion 2.0.5-173382.dmg that is what is downloading. I am doing the free 30 Day trail for that because Parallel you need to purchase. How do i get a copy of the windows operating system

You need to buy it. >_>"

OP
P
Reaction score
^^ I went to the bookstore on campus and got a copy of the windows operating system. I first installed the VMware Fusion. I then put in the Windows Disc . Clicked it an saw Setup.exe still? I have both things that you said were needed. The store didn't tell me how to do it just knew what i was talking about an gave me what i needed. I still am stuck and need help if you can continue to help me figure this out . Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try the VMWare help documents. There is a pretty clear walkthrough there to get Windows set up.

The best we can do is repeat what is already there.

If you have questions after reading through it, post back and I'm sure someone will help out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
There are two different ways to run Windows on Mac hardware:

1) VMWare/Parallels/VirtualBox
With this approach you are running what is called VM software or simply a 'VM' (Virtual Machine). When installing a VM you then need to install what is called a 'guest' operation system. In your case, this is Windows.

0) Read the VMWare documentation to get a better idea of general concepts/terms. You can either read the documentation online, or the Help menu option at the top of the screen when VMWare is running.

1) Install VMWare

2) Insert your Windows install disk

3) Start VMWare

4) Create a New Virtual Machine
You can do this by the welcome dialogue screen, or by going to the File menu in VM Ware and select 'New'.

At this point VMWare will walk you through a series of steps to create and install the virtual machine.

2) Bootcamp
Bootcamp allows you to install Windows 'natively' on Mac hardware. With this approach, your installing Windows to a dedicated disk partition on your Mac. Once you perform the install you will have a choice of booting into Windows or OSX.
As opposed to the VM approach, Bootcamp has the benefit of providing Windows with direct access to the underlying hardware and as a result, it is faster for some tasks, primarily 3D related applications (games, imaging etc). Also, running Windows via Bootcamp will not be as tasking to your system being that with VM ware you are essentially running two operating systems at the same time. With Bootcamp, you are either running Windows, or your are running OSX both do not run simultaneously.

There is plenty of documentation regarding Bootcamp on the Web. I would suggest starting at Apple's support site

Apple - Support

and doing a simply query for 'Bootcamp'. This should be enough to get you started.

There is no 'right' or 'correct' way when it comes to running other operating systems on your Mac. It is a choice dictated by your needs. If you simply need to do general tasks on Windows, then a VM solution will probably do what you want. A VM approach can often be simpler when first starting out as it does not require a dedicated partition, installing drivers etc.

Again, my real advice at this point is to read the relevant documentation before starting anything to get a better understanding of the terms, concepts, nuances of both approaches.

OP
P
Reaction score
3) Start VMWare

You can do this by the welcome dialogue screen, or by going to the File menu in VM Ware and select 'New'.

^^Those steps is where i am confused. I downloaded a free 30 day trial of VMware Fusion i don't know if that is right but when i downloaded it an clicked the icon on my desktop and it opens up a window saying install vmware fusion getting started and uninstall vmware fusion I don't see anywhere that says start vmware an create a new virtal machine.. Maybe i downloaded the wrong thing...????

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, it's going to be kind of hard to start vmware until after you install it.

Maybe try clicking on install vmware fusion to get going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Ok, so it looks like you haven't actually installed VMWare yet, you just downloaded it.

This is a good time to read the 'getting started' quide/documentation. Read through this and then install VMWare. Then follow the steps posted above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
3) Start VMWare

^^Those steps is where i am confused. I downloaded a free 30 day trial of VMware Fusion i don't know if that is right but when i downloaded it an clicked the icon on my desktop and it opens up a window saying install vmware fusion getting started and uninstall vmware fusion I don't see anywhere that says start vmware an create a new virtal machine.. Maybe i downloaded the wrong thing...????

Yes, you need to install VMWare before you can use VMWare. Once VMWare is installed, THEN you can start a virtual machine.

OP
P
Reaction score
I clicked Install VMware Fusion an installed it . After that no windows popped up just it says The software was successfully installed an says "Close" . After that now what is there to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
I clicked Install VMware Fusion an installed it . After that no windows popped up just it says The software was successfully installed an says "Close" . After that now what is there to do

Run VMWare Fusion from your applications folder and follow the above. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Insert your Windows CD-ROM into your optical drive.
You will need a valid Windows product key. Windows CDs that came
shipped with a previous physical computer are likely locked to that
machine and might not work.
2 From the Virtual Machine Library window, click the New button or
choose File > New.
The New Virtual Machine Assistant launches.

I cant find the vrtual machine library

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Couldn't you also just get Darwine? It's a free port of WINE for OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Also, you probably have OS 10.5, not 10.0. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.