how long to sleep before bagging your laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
had a difficult time naming the thread but the question is simple:

how long should one wait between putting their laptop to sleep (closing lid) and putting it in their bag for travel?

usually i wait until the fans turn off and then ithink that is a safe time to put her in my bag and get one my way. today i did just this, put it in my bag and then went to move my bag. i heard my fan turn on and then i realized that i should probably take it out and let it cool down a little more. i did just this but did not notice my lil light flashing in front of me. i opened it up and it was off! i assume this was because it was too hot in my bag and my pb just turned itself off?

so how long should one wait before closin' shop and movin' shop?

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
so the pb turning off while sleeping is more of an issue on apples side?

this only happens to me when i put my pb in my bag (which i can assume could get really hot because there is no room to dissapate heat)
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Work buddy of mine always transports while asleep - says sometimes it might a little warm even overnight in his bag w/quarter of battery drained but never shut down or off when he tried to wake it. Wish I had one myself to give firsthand fb :)
BTW: I like ur avatar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You are supposed to turn off the laptop whenever you are travelling long distances. Sleep is good if you are just going to walk outside but you don't want it shaking around in your bag if you are going to an airport or on the train to the office etc

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
trpnmonkey41 said:
You are supposed to turn off the laptop whenever you are travelling long distances. Sleep is good if you are just going to walk outside but you don't want it shaking around in your bag if you are going to an airport or on the train to the office etc

yea, this is cross campus....

im just curious as to how long you should generally wait before you throw it in a bag...just until the fans turn off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I don't want at all, it's not generating anymore heat due to it being asleep. I guess it depends on how hot the laptop is and what material your bag is.. and if the bag is combustible at low temperatures :) Otherwise your laptop has to be very very very hot for it hurt anything.

K

Kokopelli

Most of the time my fans never even kick on. :) Compile time, encoding movies, and DVD playback are about the only times it comes on. I just close and stuff, I do not wait at all. For me it is usually just for my walk to or from work though.

S

Steel02001

Your best bet is going to be turning it off and waiting a few minutes because that is going to be the best way to avoid any problems. If its only a few minute walk then I would say it is still a risk. Putting it in a bag is like putting it in an over, the heat from the sun, depending on where you are I guess, plus the heat it generates while minimal is just a little risky for such an expensive piece of equipment when in the time you could be waiting for it to cool down you could turn it off then turn it on in class it takes like two minutes.

I realize the oven analogy is a bit over the top but I cant think of a better one, possibly microwave oven? Oh, I know, dominos heat bag thingy?

J

Jefe3223

The mac genious at my mac store told me to just wait till the hardrive had time to settle down...that's generally until the little light thingy comes on. He said then pack and go...but long trips (hour or more) you might want to shut it down.

J

jessica

I've known many people to travel by plane and train and car with their laptops asleep. No issues. I shut my lid and toss it in my bag. If I wanted to baby my notebook I wouldn't even have considered buying it. Notebooks should withstand some use. If my powerbook fails because I shut the lid and place in a laptop bag in less than 30 seconds then there are bigger issues and Apple will replace/repair/refund whichever is most suitable.

C

Cloudane

The manual tells you to wait until the white LED starts throbbing.

Usually only takes a second, but sometimes it decides to go on a chugging spree and take like 30. Or not sleep at all, but when you open it, it immediately goes to sleep. Strange stuff sometimes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.