KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE launching Solarseek

Reaction score
Hello,

Solarseek, a Soulseek client for mac, quits on every launch, sometimes after opening the window, sometimes not. I've reinstalled it and erased the cache, but to no avail. I get the following information (I can provide more if necessary):

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

From what I've read, this means something is wrong with the memory. I did just upgrade to 4gb of memory on a Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz processor, but it doesn't effect any other program or the system at all, seemingly. I've run memtest, and it doesn't tell me anything is wrong. Any ideas? If you want to see more of the error code, or need any more information, let me know. Thanks for your help.

-Nate

OP
N
Reaction score
When running memtest, I noticed this:

Memory Page Size: 4096
System has 2 Intel core(s) with SSE
Requested memory: 3020MB (3167461376 bytes)
Available memory: 3020MB (3167461376 bytes)

Wouldn't that be three gigabytes, not four? "About this Mac" claims that I have four, but maybe memtest isn't recognizing one of the gigs. If so, why would one gigabyte be missing if it is in two sticks of two gigabytes? Any help?

Reaction score
Actually these errors usually mean that something is wrong with the program itself, NOT with your computer.

EXC_BAD_ACCESS can happen when a program tries to access a part of memory that it has previously released.

The best thing to do in this case is (i) not worry about your computer :) and (ii) send the crash log (in ~/Logs/CrashReporter) to the developer.

OP
N
Reaction score
That's what I've read, but the problem is, the only thing that has changed since the program went from functional to defunct was that I upgraded my memory. Unfortunately, development has ceased, so I think I'm probably stuck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.